Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,
I'm writting thesis on metaphors in English connected with clothing.
I've just got stuck and I'm looking for some inspiration. I would be delighted if someone could help me or inspire me with some observations.
I look for words or pieces of clothing which are used to describe people or some items, also metonymic expressions.
I look for expressions in which boundaries between the domains of HUMAN BEINGS and CLOTHES become very fuzzy.
I found some examples in English like for example 'white-collar worker' or 'skirt; with reference to an attractive woman.
I think that that would be easier for an native speaker to find more such expressions with refference to people.

It's quite urgent, thank you for any ideas.

Karol

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In modern slang we have "suit" for a resented boss. Then there is "stuffed shirt". somewhat older. Most important of all, I think, are "white collar" and "blue collar", which embody the difference between clerical, administrative and managerial jobs on the one hand, and skilled or labouring jobs on the other.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would look for corpus phrases with 'hat' and 'boots' and 'shoes' and so on to start.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You could start by searching our own list of idioms; there are 7 hits for sleeve, for example. And an idiom can be the root of a newly-coined metaphor.

b

PS You could search there for dozens of clothing-related terms.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As a demonstration of how random this can be, I've just spotted an actual metaphor in the wild (on The 4 O'Clock Show on BBC Radio4 Extra: the presenter referred to another programme (called Country File, I think) as 'muddy-trousered'. This ISN'T idiomatic, but it was easy to understand.

b

karkog

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you for your answers ... I like well-hilled expression. I think I can treat it as a kind of orientational metaphor. And also suit.

I've got also a problem with sources. Comprehensive and reliable... I look for word histories, etymologies etc. D

I've just come across old bag... I like it but I can not find the word etymology or origin in connection with an old woman. But I'm afraid that it has nothing in common with bag as a piece of clothing.

If any ideas, please share :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I guess it's because old bags have creases like wrinkles. It's been used in BrE all my life, while bag lady ​is more recent.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd always assumed it was a euphemistic alternative to 'hag'. As you say, the association with 'bag lady' is quite recent. (And for students, there really are bags involved in that. A bag lady carries all her belongings in carrier bags'.

Another possibility is that it's an abbreviation of 'baggage' (a contemptuous reference to a worthless woman). In My Fair Lady (the first experience I had of it - I'm sure it was in use before that) Professor Higgins, after Eliza has run off with Freddy, muses 'Should I take her back, or throw the baggage out?'

b

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Old bag has also been used in Canadian English all my life, and I suspect generally in AmE as well.

karkog

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I guess it's because old bags have creases like wrinkles. It's been used in BrE all my life, while bag lady ​is more recent.

So, you think that it is connected somehow to bag (as a type of 'clothing') ?

karkog

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I've already analyzed these words:
white-collar, blue-collar and others

uniform - policeman

cop - policeman

suit - bussinesman

skirt - woman

stuffed shirt - empty person

empty suit - similar

hoodie - young criminal

metonimies connected with footbal teams and their kits 'the blues, the reds'

I think that bag lady is OK to analyze but are shopping bags any type of clothing ? It is the distinguishing atribute of such people but im not sure if I can trat it like a piece of clothing

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So, you think that it is connected somehow to bag (as a type of 'clothing') ?

I don't think Tdol meant that. 'Bags' are a kind of trouser - the most common sort is 'Oxford bags', but there may be other sorts. I imagine Tdol was talking about paper/plastic/carrier bags.

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
cop - policeman...
Where's the clothing there? This suggests there's a simple association with the slang verb cop, which may be related, among many other words, to the German kaufen - an interesting derivation, involving Grimm's Law (cp. 'father'/pater with kaufen/'cop'); but nothing to do with clothes.

b

karkog

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Where's the clothing there? This suggests there's a simple association with the slang verb cop, which may be related, among many other words, to the German kaufen - an interesting derivation, involving Grimm's Law (cp. 'father'/pater with kaufen/'cop'); but nothing to do with clothes.

b

I know about it, but there is also common association with copper, and copper helmets badges. I know the most propbable etymology of cop you gave but I've decided to mention that...

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) We say that things are "tailored" or "tailor-made" just for someone. "This medical plan was tailor-made for Bob."
2) If someone "buttons up", that means he stopped talking. (He "buttoned up" his mouth)
3) On the same note, you could tell somebody to "zip it", which means the same thing as "shut up".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I know about it, but there is also common association with copper, and copper helmets badges.
Whatever gave you that idea?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I fear this 'common association' may be a euphemism for that infinity of typing monkeys commonly known as 'the Internet'. :)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.