Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would like to know from people who have started in my position where to go. I want to take a tesol course to get a certificate and teach English overseas. I am thirty and would like to save money as I teach. I have my G.E.D. and want to get started but have so many questions unanswered. Can I get a job when I get the certificate and how long do I have to wait until I can work? I heard a lot about positive and negative experiences and wanted to know which area, country should I study at. Ideally I would want to go to a country which is generally friendly, pays well, and has a temperate "nice" climate. I read on a webpage airfare and accommodations were included. Also, How long before going to the country, continent do I need to get a working visa. How do this work?
I was thinking of going to china's temperate zone. Does anybody have any experiences there? I don't have a degree or college diploma.
I would like a short term contract

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would like to know from people who have started in my position where to go. I want to take a tesol course to get a certificate and teach English overseas. I am thirty and would like to save money as I teach. I have my G.E.D. and want to get started but have so many questions unanswered. Can I get a job when I get the certificate and how long do I have to wait until I can work? I heard a lot about positive and negative experiences and wanted to know which area, country should I study at. Ideally I would want to go to a country which is generally friendly, pays well, and has a temperate "nice" climate. I read on a webpage airfare and accommodations were included. Also, How long before going to the country, continent do I need to get a working visa. How do this work?
I was thinking of going to china's temperate zone. Does anybody have any experiences there? I don't have a degree or college diploma.
I would like a short term contract

Welcome to the forum.

I have moved your question to the "Teaching English" section as it's more appropriate. There are people here with all kinds of experience so you should get some good info.

For my part, all I can say is don't consider Spain at the moment. I was lucky to have taught there before the recession really bit and when there wasn't a glut of teachers and not enough jobs. As a Canadian citizen you'll certainly need some extra paperwork if you head for Europe. What you need and how long it will take will depend on the country so you'll need to get the info from the relevant Embassy in Canada. What kind of job you'll be offered with a TESOL certification will also depend on where you choose to go.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't want to depress you, but there are quite a few countries that are closed to you if you have no degree.

Even with a degree, teaching English is not a job in which many of us expect to save a lot of money. There are well-paid jobs in the profession, but not many. I siggest that you have a look at jobs available, salaries offered and qualifications expected before you invest in a training course. Start here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I must say that I object to the requirement for a degree but, in many cases, no teaching experience. That seems completely backwards to me. Surely showing that you're a half-decent teacher should be required, rather than proving that you spent three years studying Art History or Philosophy and wrote a thesis.
I've always objected to some "graduate jobs" where the degree does not need to have anything to do with the job but your experience and ability count for nothing.
I'll stop before my soapbox gets too high to get down from.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I must say that I object to the requirement for a degree but, in many cases, no teaching experience. [...]I've always objected to some "graduate jobs" where the degree does not need to have anything to do with the job but your experience and ability count for nothing.
I couldn't agree more.

However, that is the situation in many places these days, and non-graduates intending to invest time and money in a TEFL course need to know this.

Michaeltesol

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
here is my honest update. It almost seems impossible to get a decent job without a degree. I wanted to take this course for a while now and saving a thousand dollars was my only drawback. I originally thought it would be a good idea and now I just don't know. I'll keep everybody informed

Status
Not open for further replies.