Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Iceland
Hi, I'm new here. English is my foreign language so I sometimes might be somewhat clumsy in my expressions, but I hope experts will somehow do... ;-)

I'm currently reading Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". At some point narrator is describing some bigmouths bragging about themselves and their "marvelous" deeds on battle fields. Then such a sentence comes about:

"There were several more who had been equally great in the field, not one of whom but was persuaded that he had a considerable hand in bringing the war to a happy termination."

That "but" destroys my all understanding of it. I'd appreciate if someone could express this sentence in other words which would in some other, simpler way convey exactly the same meaning and sense. Or maybe there is just one simple single English-word equivalent for this wretched "but"-word which would do the job... :)

Thank you in advance :)

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, I'm new here. English is my foreign language so I sometimes might be somewhat clumsy in my expressions, but I hope experts will somehow do... ;-)

I'm currently reading Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". At some point narrator is describing some bigmouths bragging about themselves and their "marvelous" deeds on battle fields. Then such a sentence comes about:

"There were several more who had been equally great in the field, not one of whom but was persuaded that he had a considerable hand in bringing the war to a happy termination."

That "but" destroys my all understanding of it. I'd appreciate if someone could express this sentence in other words which would in some other, simpler way convey exactly the same meaning and sense. Or maybe there is just one simple single English-word equivalent for this wretched "but"-word which would do the job... :)

Thank you in advance :)

Seldom/never used as such in modern English. Could be replaced with "that" or simply omitted.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think the opposite may be true. It means "not" in this case and modifies "was" -- not one of whom was NOT persuaded....." i.e. All of them thought they were important in ending the war.

szaroczek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Iceland
Got it! :-D Now makes clear sense to me! Thank you very much indeed. :up:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Written in 1820, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" is among the earliest examples of American fiction still read today. (Wikipedia)

Language changes considerably over nearly 200 years, szaroczek.

Make sure you read plenty of modern English, too.

Rover

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the opposite may be true. It means "not" in this case and modifies "was" -- not one of whom was NOT persuaded....." i.e. All of them thought they were important in ending the war.

You are correct, my error.

szaroczek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Iceland
Written in 1820, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" is among the earliest examples of American fiction still read today. (Wikipedia)

Language changes considerably over nearly 200 years, szaroczek.

Make sure you read plenty of modern English, too.

Rover

I will try! :) Thank you. ;-)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

(1) Thank you, Szaroczek, for asking that question. It really helped many of us ordinary native speakers to better understand older English.

(2) Of course, especial thanks to Konungursvia for giving us the answer.

(3) I found this beautiful sentence written by someone whose last name was Lowell.

It was published in the year 1871:

"As for the birds, I do not believe there is one of them but does more good

than harm."

(a) This "but" is classified as a conjunction meaning "who ... not" or "that ...not."

CREDIT for the quotation and definition goes to:

Funk & Wagnalls New Standard Dictionary of the English Language (1952)

szaroczek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Iceland
What could be better than when "everybody wins"! :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd use 'special thanks ...' there.

NOT A TEACHER

(1) Thank you for your kind advice.

(2) We learners greatly appreciate the patient and courteous way in which you disagree

with other people.

(3) Of course, other learners should definitely take your suggestion and use

"special" in that sentence.

(4) As for me, however, I shall continue to use that beautiful old word in such

sentences. I checked the many examples of "especial thanks" in Google books,

so I feel justified in using it.

szaroczek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Iceland
Isn't it like this "e" in "especial" makes the ordinary "special" even more "special"...? :roll:

This is just a question and I am definitely NOT a teacher. ;-)

P.S.
By the way I highly invite and encourage ALL English language experts to correct me whenever they regard me being wrong, whether in spelling, grammar, lexical issues or whatever else regardless if it is a topic-related expression or a second-plan utterance, a serious mistake or a petty one. ALL revisions are extremely welcome and appreciated. Just to let you know. :up: ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you for your kind advice..
I gave no advice Parser. I simply noted what I would say.

However, I will now give some advice. Learners should note that in British English the adjective 'especial' is rather formal, and is used only before a noun - Be careful with that! It's [STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]special.

Status
Not open for further replies.