Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I don't know about anyone else but the Like button is in the lower right-hand corner of all the comments on my screen!

I don't know about other's but
the Like button is in the lower right-hand corner of all the comments on my screen!

What is the difference between these two sentences?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I don't know about anyone else but the Like button is in the lower right-hand corner of all the comments on my screen!

I don't know about other's but
the Like button is in the lower right-hand corner of all the comments on my screen!

What is the difference between these two sentences?

The second one is incorrect because of the apostrophe "s".

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It's possible, but it has a different meaning.

Then, Does the original post mean that I don't anyone and I know only that that the button is on the right handed side?

Why should she/he say anyone? because we, usually, say anything when we are referring to some things(In this case she/he speaks about button in her/his latter part of the sentence).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Then, Does the original post mean that I don't anyone and I know only that that the button is on the right handed side?

Why should she/he say anyone? because we, usually, say anything when we are referring to some things(In this case she/he speaks about button in her/his latter part of the sentence).

I don't know about (the situation with) anyone else but (on my screen) the Like button is in the lower right-hand corner of all the comments on my screen!
I don't know about anything else but (I do know about the Like button:) the Like button is in the lower right-hand corner of all the comments on my screen!

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I don't know about (the situation with) anyone else but (on my screen) the Like button is in the lower right-hand corner of all the comments on my screen!

Then, how does it become wrong with other's(situation)?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Then, how does it become wrong with other's(situation)?
I don't know about other's but the Like button is in the lower right-hand corner of all the comments on my screen! :cross:

You would need: I don't know about others' situation, but the Like button is in the lower right-hand corner of all the comments on my screen.

Far more natural would be ... anybody else's situation ... or ... the situation with other people/others ...

With either others' or anybody else's you need a noun following the word to show what the noun + 's 'possesses'.

In such sentences as those below, the intended meaning is clear to native speakers. :

I don't know about anyone else, but the Like button is in the lower right-hand corner of all the comments on my screen.
I don't know about other people,
but the Like button is in the lower right-hand corner of all the comments on my screen.
I don't know about anything else, but the Like button is in the lower right-hand corner of all the comments on my screen.
[/QUOTE]

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Far more natural would be ... anybody else's situation ... or ... the situation with other people/others ...

[/QUOTE]

This would have made me understand it very clear.

Thank you 5jj.(nice to see you again now)

Status
Not open for further replies.