[Idiom] Is the phrase "How are you getting on" similar to "How are you"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhatruc30

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Dear all.

I read a letter, but I can not understand this phrase "How are you getting on". I think by myself that it is similar to "How are you". I don't know if my thought is correct. If someone knows, please explain it to me. I would appreciate your help.

Your sincerely,

Truc.

=====
This is the original letter.

Askforhelp2.jpg

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: Is the phrase "How are you getting on" similar to "How are you"?

It's similar, but it sounds as if the person really wants some information about what you're doing.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

:up: It would be unnatural to ask 'How are you in Melbourne?' - so it's not just 'How are are you[ - and, by the way, we both know you're in Melbourne]'. The question's asking about the details of the recipient's progress in that particular place.

b

TheEditor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but as an American, I have always understood "How are you getting on?" to mean, "How are you getting along?" It seems to be a British expression, and I'm guessing that the letter writer is from the U.K.

Thus, I would take, "How are you getting on in Melbourne?" to mean, "How are things going in Melbourne?" or "How has your life been since you moved to Melbourne?"

I've also heard it used in relation to people, such as, "How are you getting on with your new boss?" -- meaning, "How are you getting along with your new boss?"

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but as an American, I have always understood "How are you getting on?" to mean, "How are you getting along?" It seems to be a British expression, and I'm guessing that the letter writer is from the U.K.

Thus, I would take, "How are you getting on in Melbourne?" to mean, "How are things going in Melbourne?" or "How has your life been since you moved to Melbourne?"

I've also heard it used in relation to people, such as, "How are you getting on with your new boss?" -- meaning, "How are you getting along with your new boss?"
Yes, both of those phrases mean the same thing here too. It's more than "How are you [going]?" Basically, it's asking, "How are you settling into your new situation?" - whatever that situation is.

The original letter tends to indicate that the writer doesn't really care, but really only wants information. But it would be rude to not show some interest in the person you're writing to. And asking how they are getting used to their new situation is a way of showing some individual (though feigned) concern.

Psiconaut

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

It's similar, but it sounds as if the person really wants some information about what you're doing.

Can it be considered rude in any situation?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Can it be considered rude in any situation?
Not usually.
One could think of contexts. For example, a boss who demoted a former executive to working in the truck-loading bay, is unlikely to be experienced as being polite if he asks the former executive, "How are you getting on in distribution?"
But if your intentions aren't rude, I don't see that this expression could be considered rude.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

We generally don't use it in AmE.

Status
Not open for further replies.