Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,

Is there any standard test used for taking on new ESL/EFL teachers for language institutes? (A test assessing their teaching skills basd on the latest methodologies)

I'd appreciate it if you could give me some hints about this issue.

Thanks.

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
In all of my interviews, I only saw one standardized test and that was at International House. There were a few short-answer classroom management questions and then I was asked to prepare a written lesson plan for a particular grammar point which was given to me. The other job interviews were basically the same but just done orally during the interview.

Honestly, I don't think such a test exists because there isn't just one correct way to do things in a classroom. Yes, there are many mistakes that should be avoided but different people will have different solutions to the problems they face and different people are suited to different classroom styles.

Are you looking to become a teacher and you want to prepare for your interviews or are you looking to hire some teachers and you want to know the latest techniques to look for?

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In all of my interviews, I only saw one standardized test and that was at International House. There were a few short-answer classroom management questions and then I was asked to prepare a written lesson plan for a particular grammar point which was given to me. The other job interviews were basically the same but just done orally during the interview.

Honestly, I don't think such a test exists because there isn't just one correct way to do things in a classroom. Yes, there are many mistakes that should be avoided but different people will have different solutions to the problems they face and different people are suited to different classroom styles.

Are you looking to become a teacher and you want to prepare for your interviews or are you looking to hire some teachers and you want to know the latest techniques to look for?

Thank you so much!
Indeed I work for a language institute which is concerned about taking on new teachers. Well, I totally agree when you say it's matter of context and personal experience, which determines how a situation needs to be dealt with. However, some basic ideas regarding teaching language have become sort of fixed. Error correction, opening a new class, strategies for intensive reading and listening,...etc. are the ones for which we can expect teachers to go in a similar way.

Thanks again for the very helpful ideas. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.