English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Grammar Stuff: How to use “recommend” and “suggest” correctly

Many foreign students totally use the verbs “to recommend” and “to suggest” incorrectly.
A student will often say: He recommended me to go to the Metropolitan Museum.
No! No! No! :oops:
Never use an object pronoun after recommended or suggested. It sounds TERRIBLE to a native English speaker. Really terrible! :roll:

There are two ways to use “to recommend”: 1) He recommended the Metropolitan Museum to me. Or 2) He recommended that I should go to the Metropolitan Museum.
So it is: Subject + recommended + object + to + pronoun
Or
Subject + recommended + that + pronoun + should + infinitive verb etc.
Examples: I recommended that he should try the sushi at that Japanese restaurant. We suggested that they should try to get home by midnight because the bus stops running at that time.
recommended that…should suggested that…should
If you just remember that recommended or suggested should always be followed by that and then should you will never go wrong. He recommended that my friend should visit Northern Avenue in Flushing if he wants to get good Korean food. I recommended that he should go to the Bronx Zoo on Wednesday because it is free day there. They suggested that we should avoid going to certain areas of the Bronx because they have been neglected by city hall and are very dangerous.
You can also ask: Can you please recommend a place where I can find a reasonably priced Korean restaurant? (Here recommend is followed by a direct object)
Would you recommend that I should eat at this restaurant? Did he recommend that you should go to the Film Forum to see the Hitchcock film?

Babak35

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Costa Rica
I have read your comment on the use of recommend and suggest and I must say your explanation flabbergasts me. That is how you say it correctly: His doctor recommended/suggested that he exercise more. If you recommend something then "should" is not necessary or almost incorrect, because its a recommendation and not obligation! If you use should then you are not recommending anymore! This applies to all your examples:
He recommended that my friend visit Northern Avenue in Flushing if he wants to get good Korean food. I recommended that he go to the Bronx Zoo on Wednesday because it is free day there. They suggested that we avoid going to certain areas of the Bronx because they have been neglected by city hall and are very dangerous.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Wow! A lot of advice flying about here.

A student will often say: He recommended me to go to the Metropolitan Museum.
No! No! No! :oops:
Never use an object pronoun after recommended or suggested. It sounds TERRIBLE to a native English speaker. Really terrible! :roll:
It doesn't sound that terrible to this native speaker.
There are two ways to use “to recommend”: 1) He recommended the Metropolitan Museum to me. Or 2) He recommended that I should go to the Metropolitan Museum.
How about: He recommended going to the Metropolitan Museum?
If you recommend something then "should" is not necessary or almost incorrect, because its a recommendation and not obligation! If you use should then you are not recommending anymore!
To suggest that someone should do something is common in BrE.

Status
Not open for further replies.