[Grammar] Once (or for the first time) in 100 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snappy

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Which one is better, "once" or "for the first time" in the following sentences? Are they interchangeable?

The financial crisis originated from the United States resulted in the world’s economic crisis that occurred once in 100 years.

The financial crisis originated from the United States resulted in the world’s economic crisis that occurred for the first time in 100 years.

chellamuthu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Which one is better, "once" or "for the first time" in the following sentences? Are they interchangeable?

The financial crisis originated from the United States resulted in the world’s economic crisis that occurred once in 100 years.

The financial crisis originated from the United States resulted in the world’s economic crisis that occurred for the first time in 100 years.

Hi snappy it is me once again!

First sentence conveys the meaning that the financial crisis occurs once in every hundred years. It is a recurring feature.

But the second one means the crisis occurred for the first time in this hundred years.

So, both are not interchangeable.

With regards

Snappy

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi snappy it is me once again!

First sentence conveys the meaning that the financial crisis occurs once in every hundred years. It is a recurring feature.

But the second one means the crisis occurred for the first time in this hundred years.

So, both are not interchangeable.

With regards

Thank you for your advice. I would like to hear native speakers' opinions as well.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Neither sentence is good. They are hard to correct because it's not certain what you mean.
In fact the recent financial crisis only occurred once and cannot occur again. If it did, it would be a different crisis. So you need to start with something like:
The financial crisis originating in the United States resulted in a world economic crisis ...
Here are some possibilities for the ending:
- a world economic crisis which was the first for (at least) 100 years. [Not true]
- a world economic crisis which was the worst for (at least) 100 years. [Debatable]
- a world economic crisis such as occurs only once in a hundred years. [Debatable]
- perhaps something else, depending on your meaning.

Snappy

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Neither sentence is good. They are hard to correct because it's not certain what you mean.
In fact the recent financial crisis only occurred once and cannot occur again. If it did, it would be a different crisis. So you need to start with something like:
The financial crisis originating in the United States resulted in a world economic crisis ...
Here are some possibilities for the ending:
- a world economic crisis which was the first for (at least) 100 years. [Not true]
- a world economic crisis which was the worst for (at least) 100 years. [Debatable]
- a world economic crisis such as occurs only once in a hundred years. [Debatable]
- perhaps something else, depending on your meaning.

Thanks.

If I say, "The financial crisis originated from the United States resulted in the world’s worst economic crisis that occurred for the first time in 100 years," does it make sense?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks.

If I say, "The financial crisis originated from the United States resulted in the world’s worst economic crisis that occurred for the first time in 100 years," does it make sense?
I would write:
... the world’s worst economic crisis in 100 years
. (or ...crisis in the last 100 years.)
No, you can't use "for the first time" unless you say something like "A financial crisis occurred for the first time in 100 years".

If you say "the worst financial crisis that occurred for the first time in 100 years" you are comparing it to all the other financial crises that occurred for the first time in 100 years.

And I'd still make the changes to the first part.

Snappy

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I would write:
... the world’s worst economic crisis in 100 years. (or ...crisis in the last 100 years.)
No, you can't use "for the first time" unless you say something like "A financial crisis occurred for the first time in 100 years".

If you say "the worst financial crisis that occurred for the first time in 100 years" you are comparing it to all the other financial crises that occurred for the first time in 100 years.

And I'd still make the changes to the first part.

Actually, the original sentence was written in Japanese. It literally means,
"The financial crisis originated from the United States resulted in the world’s economic crisis that is said to occur once every 100 years."
Does this make sense or is it too Japanese-like English?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Actually, the original sentence was written in Japanese. It literally means,
"The financial crisis originated from the United States resulted in the world’s economic crisis that is said to occur once every 100 years."
Does this make sense or is it too Japanese-like English?
It's not grammatical, but at least I can understand what it means.

The financial crisis originating in the United States resulted in a world economic crisis such as occurs [only] once in a hundred years.

This is similar to "once in every 100 years", and it could be written that way, but that suggests something that occurs regularly at 100 year intervals, which is not the intention of the sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.