Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
As an answer to "How are you" I expect an adverb, rather than adjective.

Is "good" both adjective and adverb?

If I remember correctly, in my native grammar words used to answer the question "how?" are adverbs and words used in answer to "what like?" are adjectives.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Is "good" both adjective and adverb?

If I remember correctly, in my native grammar words used to answer the question "how?" are adverbs and words used in answer to "what like?" are adjectives.

"I'm good" seems to have snuck its way into BrE over the last few years. You're quite right, though, that the "proper" reply is something like "I'm [very] well, thank you" or "I'm fine, thanks". You will hear "I'm good" a lot but I wouldn't recommend using it in a formal situation.

In answer to your question, "good" is not an adverb.

spongie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
For me "I'm good" is a fixed pharse meaning "I feel fine / I'm fine" - of course in this context.

I don't know what native speakers think about "good" as an adverb. (edit: Now I do, read post above mine)
I've read in the dictionary that many of them thinks that it's incorrect English - Longman Dictionary

Sometimes it's hard for us, non-native speakers, to think as an English would think.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"I'm good" seems to have snuck its way into BrE over the last few years. You're quite right, though, that the "proper" reply is something like "I'm [very] well, thank you" or "I'm fine, thanks". You will hear "I'm good" a lot but I wouldn't recommend using it in a formal situation.

In answer to your question, "good" is not an adverb.

I've got a suspicion it was always a part of English. Just look at the Germanic languages, where the cognate is always used as either adjective or adverb in such phrases.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Mr. Steliga,

(1) I most respectfully do not understand why you expect an adverb after "How

are you?"

(a) I may be wrong (of course!), but doesn't "How are you?" often mean "How are

you feeling?" ?

(i) Tom has just had an operation, or Tom has just been divorced. If you ask "How

are you?" many Americans would, indeed, answer: "I'm good." "Good" is an adjectiive

that refers to "I."

(ii) May I most respectfully remind you that if someone answers "I'm well," s/he is

still using an adjective. "Well" is both an adverb ("You speak English well") and

an adjective ("All is well").

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

Mr. Steliga,

(1) I most respectfully do not understand why you expect an adverb after "How

are you?"

(a) I may be wrong (of course!), but doesn't "How are you?" often mean "How are

you feeling?" ?

(i) Tom has just had an operation, or Tom has just been divorced. If you ask "How

are you?" many Americans would, indeed, answer: "I'm good." "Good" is an adjectiive

that refers to "I."

(ii) May I most respectfully remind you that if someone answers "I'm well," s/he is

still using an adjective. "Well" is both an adverb ("You speak English well") and

an adjective ("All is well").

The whole issue may be down to a profound difference of perception.

For me "I am good" is a correct answer to this question: "Are you good or bad (man)". Another example may be this: "Are you quick or slow", "I am slow"

On the other hand questions like:

"How should I deal with this?" may be answered with an adverb "promptly" (not "prompt")
"How did she look at him?" may be answered with and adverb "angrily" (not "angry")
"How are you feeling?" I see as no different from "How are you driving?" which I suppose requires an adverb to answer, e.g. "carefully"

Hence, by analogy I expect questions beginning with "how" to be answered with the use of adverbs.

When the question "How are you" is answered with "I am fine/well" I consider both 'fine" and "well" as adverbs.

In "all is (what like?) well that ends (how?) well" I see (feel) the first "well" as an adjective and the other as an adverb.

Will you have the patience to look at these arguments and help me understand the error of my ways?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When 'how?' means 'in 'what manner?', it is answered with an adverb. 'How?' can have other meanings:

The question, "How are you?" is enquiring about the state of your health and or feelings. It is answered with 'I am + adjective' - I am well (=in good health), ill, sick, happy, depressed, etc'.

'How was the exam?' means 'What was the exam like?' Answers might be: 'It was easy, difficult, terrible, etc'.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When the question "How are you" is answered with "I am fine/well" I consider both 'fine" and "well" as adverbs.

In "all is (what like?) well that ends (how?) well" I see (feel) the first "well" as an adjective and the other as an adverb.

Will you have the patience to look at these arguments and help me understand the error of my ways?

Mr. Steliga,

(1) First, thank you for helping me understand the errors of my ways!

(2) You consider "fine" and "well" as adverbs in "I am ____." Well, that is

very interesting. As I said, I think most (all?) teachers would consider them to

be adjectives. For example, in some languages people just say "I fine." They

do not need a so-called linking verb. Hopefully, a grammar expert will give us

his/her opinion on your opinion.

(a) Even in "I am doing well," I think that "well" is an adjective, for "doing" in that

sentence, I think, is just another word for "feeling." I think it is very different from

"I am doing the work well." The "well" in that sentence is surely an adverb, telling

how I am doing the work.

(b) Here is an absurd example: I broke all my fingers last year. But now my fingers

are all healed. So I am able to feel things well. ("Well" is an adverb that tells you how

I feel things with my fingers.) Surely, that is very different from "I am feeling/am well."

(3) In "All is well that ends well," I agree with you: the first "well" is an adjectiive, and

the second one is an adverb.

Tom: How did it end?

Mona: It ended well/ happily/ sadly/ tragically/ badly.

(But it would not surprise me if someone argued for analyzing the second "well" as an adjective.)

Let's see what other posters have to say.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've got a suspicion it was always a part of English. Just look at the Germanic languages, where the cognate is always used as either adjective or adverb in such phrases.

It could be, but in BrE it has become far more common in recent years and was imported from AmE.

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
When 'how?' means 'in 'what manner?', it is answered with an adverb. 'How?' can have other meanings:

The question, "How are you?" is enquiring about the state of your health and or feelings. It is answered with 'I am + adjective' - I am well (=in good health), ill, sick, happy, depressed, etc'.

'How was the exam?' means 'What was the exam like?' Answers might be: 'It was easy, difficult, terrible, etc'.

And thanks to your post it is beginning to dawn on me where the shoe pinches.

In English "how?" can have two meanings: 1. "in what manner?" and 2. "what is the state of?"

My difficulty in embracing this stems from the fact that in my language "how?" is exclusively endowed with that "in what manner?" meaning (please let the Polish members of this forum either correct me or back me up here) and I suppose one is tempted to interpolate one's native rules to those of other languages.

1. How are things? (what is the state of things?). Things are marvellous.

2. How do things go? (In what manner do things develop/progress?). Things go
marvellously.

Is then the title of this thread quite beside or irrelevant to its "entrails' :roll: as it only addresses the issue of which particular words it is customary or common to use in a given situation rather than (as I meant it) the issue of the adjective "good" being used ungrammatically?

I have been brought around to believe (and to feel) that no grammatical error is made in this expression: "I am good".

What is bugging me still is this.

"Is your wife good?" sounds to me as "Does your wife have a good heart?" (figuratively, not medically).

Now, were we to employ the meaning of "good" discussed in this thread, the question "is your wife good?" could be interpreted as "what is the state of your wife's health or mood or...?".

How would you interpret this question: "is your dog good?" asked by a guest? Would you answer:

"Oh, no worries, it won't bit you".

or

"Yes, it is fine, maybe a bit underweight".

Is this ambiguity likely to take place in reality or is it only the product of my imagination?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In English "how?" can have two meanings: 1. "in what manner?" and 2. "what is the state of?"
'How' has rather more than two meanings: how - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education

Is then the title of this thread quite beside or irrelevant to its "entrails' :roll: as it only addresses the issue of which particular words it is customary or common to use in a given situation rather than (as I meant it) the issue of the adjective "good" being used ungrammatically?
To many speakers of BrE,especially older ones, 'I am good' is still not a natural answer to the question 'How are you?' That does not make in necessarily ungrammatical.

"Is your wife good?" sounds to me as "Does your wife have a good heart?" (figuratively, not medically).
Now, were we to employ the meaning of "good" discussed in this thread, the question "is your wife good?" could be interpreted as "what is the state of your wife's health or mood or...?". I would find that a very strange question. However, I suspect that many other native speakers might find it acceptable in the interpretation you suggest.

How would you interpret this question: "is your dog good?" asked by a guest? Would you answer:
"Oh, no worries, it won't bite you"......or....."Yes, it is fine, maybe a bit underweight".
Is this ambiguity likely to take place in reality or is it only the product of my imagination?
For me, only the first interpretation works, but I am an older speaker of BrE.

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Please bear with me a little longer on this.

Is there any reason, other than tradition or habit, for why many native speakers (particularly older ones) avoid "good" as an answer to the common question "How are you?" ?

I was hoping that perhaps "good" does not belong alongside "well" and "fine" because its application would lead to confusion or ambiguity (as explained in my previous post), but clearly failed to drum up much enthusiasm or following with my lame arguments :cry:.

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is there any reason, other than tradition or habit, for why many native speakers (particularly older ones) avoid "good" as an answer to the common question "How are you?" ?.
It's simply that the adjective 'well' has had, as one of its meanings, 'in good health'; The adjective 'good' has not had that meaning.

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I believe there exists another common expression similar to "how are you?" in that it functions as a greeting but different in that it enquires after how the asked person manages their affairs as opposed to how that person's health etc. is.

The expression I am making a reference to is "how are you doing?".

Would or should this question be answered with an adverb?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I believe there exists another common expression similar to "how are you?" in that it functions as a greeting but different in that it enquires after how the asked person manages their affairs as opposed to how that person's health etc. is.

The expression I am making a reference to is "how are you doing?".

Would or should this question be answered with an adverb?

"How are you doing?" is a common question even though technically it makes no grammatical sense. I have one friend who always replies to that question with "How am I doing what?"

As with the rest of this thread, the answer is that you will hear "I'm doing good" a lot but the answer should be in the form of an adverb. "I'm doing well, thank you" which means the same as "I am well" but uses the same form as the question using "doing".

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Just another thought, as people are coming from different angles and philosophies on this thread.

He's a good runner. He runs well.

Fine. We can all see that 'good' is an adjective here, and 'well' is an adverb.

But in greetings, 'good' is clearly used as an adverb by many people.

How are you? -- Good, thanks.

I feel sure this has always been a possibility in English. In fact, "I am well thanks" is far less common here in North America, and sounds like an effort to be formal or even 'posh' as the Brits say -- it's almost unnatural between friends, at least on this continent of 300 million English speakers.

But I feel no qualms about it.

Wie gehts? Gut, danke.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Just another thought, as people are coming from different angles and philosophies on this thread.

He's a good runner. He runs well.

Fine. We can all see that 'good' is an adjective here, and 'well' is an adverb.

But in greetings, 'good' is clearly used as an adverb by many people.

How are you? -- Good, thanks.

I feel sure this has always been a possibility in English. In fact, "I am well thanks" is far less common here in North America, and sounds like an effort to be formal or even 'posh' as the Brits say -- it's almost unnatural between friends, at least on this continent of 300 million English speakers.

But I feel no qualms about it.

Wie gehts? Gut, danke.
In Irish English "good" is used in that way too. It's a direct translation from the Gaelic "Ta me go maith" "I am good". But I think "well" is still more common in BrE.
(I am having problems cutting and pasting on the site at the moment, so I apologise for the lack of accents on the "a" in "ta" and the "e" in "me".)

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In Irish English "good" is used in that way too. It's a direct translation from the Gaelic "Ta me go maith" "I am good". But I think "well" is still more common in BrE.
(I am having problems cutting and pasting on the site at the moment, so I apologise for the lack of accents on the "a" in "ta" and the "e" in "me".)

Well the Irish are better at Latin than the Romans, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were also better at English than the Brits. :lol:

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

[not a teacher]

Without context, it is ambiguous to me. If pressed, I would guess that a “dog that’s good” doesn’t bite, and a “wife that’s good” is healthy ( and not the other way ‘round ;-)).

Status
Not open for further replies.