Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

I don't understand the difference between:
1)work through the following moves.
2)play through the game.

I have also heard something of the sort "go over/through the section x/subject" I guess.

hooshdar3

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

I don't understand the difference between:
1)work through the following moves.
2)play through the game.

I have also heard something of the sort "go over/through the section x/subject" I guess.

Answer please.
Why no one answers?:-o

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Answer please.
Why no one answers?:-o

Please be patient. We are all volunteers doing this in our free time and it is now the weekend so perhaps fewer people are on here.

You will need to provide context for your question. Post the full sentence where you saw your phrases, and the type of article or book they were in, and we will have much more chance of helping you.

At the moment, to me at least, they mean nothing.

hooshdar3

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Please be patient. We are all volunteers doing this in our free time and it is now the weekend so perhaps fewer people are on here.

You will need to provide context for your question. Post the full sentence where you saw your phrases, and the type of article or book they were in, and we will have much more chance of helping you.

At the moment, to me at least, they mean nothing.

well, in a chess book by GM Seirawan, I read:
"Work through the following moves[I must add that they are recorded and shown 2 paragraphs later], one by one."

or some line later,:
"Play through the game again to find out where[i.e. you did the mistake]."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Work through the following moves[I must add that they are recorded and shown 2 paragraphs later], one by one."

or some line later,:

The same advice applies that both I and another member just posted on your question about "Black blew out ..."

PLEASE put in the title (or at least in the first line of the first post) of each thread that you are asking a chess question. That will avoid lots of us who don't have the first idea about chess from opening the thread and spending time reading it, being confused and then finding again in post #3 that it's about chess.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

or some line later,:
There is no necessary difference between these phrases. Authors write things in different ways to avoid being repetitive.
To me, they seem to mean the same thing - go over the moves again; review the sequence of moves.

hooshdar3

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
There is no necessary difference between these phrases. Authors write things in different ways to avoid being repetitive.
To me, they seem to mean the same thing - go over the moves again; review the sequence of moves.
Work through doesn't mean examine?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

By the sounds of it, it might mean "read them carefully one by one" or even "get your chess board out and actually copy these moves one by one".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Well, yes, you would examine them while you're working through them. Why would you play through the game again without examining the moves you were making?
I think you're taking all this rather literally. They're simply telling you to "look at it again".
Whether this means playing the game literally on your chessboard, following the diagrams, or - being the good player you are - mentally vizualizing the moves in sequence, the phrases don't say.
The author probably doesn't care, as long as you follow the moves one by one concentrating on the point which the book is addressing at that particular time.

hooshdar3

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Well, yes, you would examine them while you're working through them. Why would you play through the game again without examining the moves you were making?
I think you're taking all this rather literally. They're simply telling you to "look at it again".
Whether this means playing the game literally on your chessboard, following the diagrams, or - being the good player you are - mentally vizualizing the moves in sequence, the phrases don't say.
The author probably doesn't care, as long as you follow the moves one by one concentrating on the point which the book is addressing at that particular time.
1")work through the following moves." and 2)"play through the game." are written before the game is given.and #2 is said in case our position does't match a diagram shown.

I try to find the exact words because I am translating it.

TheEditor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: work/play/go through/go over

I'm a lifelong (amateur) chess player, and I don't believe the expressions you've quoted are unique to chess.

Echoing emsr2d2 and Raymott, I take both of them to mean the same thing: The author is going to provide you with a series of chess moves, and he expects you to copy them one by one, presumably on a chessboard or a computer, paying attention to the situations and complications that unfold.

The author is giving you a chess lesson, and to put it in longer context, he's saying: "If you want to become a better chess player, study the moves of this game from start to finish. Notice how [Player A] gets the better of [Player B] by [attacking his pawn structure, etc.]."

I wouldn't spend a great deal of time analyzing it -- the author is simply trying to improve your chess skills by having you copy the moves of a previous game that he finds instructive.

Status
Not open for further replies.