Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello!

Could somebody please tell me whether the following sentences sound good and natural:

"What will the weather be like tomorrow?"
"What will tomorrow's weather be like?"
"What is the weather going to be tomorrow?"

Thank you very much in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello!

Could somebody please tell me whether the following sentences sound good and natural:

"What will the weather be like tomorrow?" Fine
"What will tomorrow's weather be like?" Fine, though I would be more likely to use your first example. This may be just personal.
"What is the weather going to be tomorrow?" Not sure. In my own informal speech, I tend to say: "What is the weather going to do tomorrow?"

Thank you very much in advance.
Let's see what others have to say.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think I agree with you on 1 and 2, and find 3 okay as-is.

What's it doing out there, or what's it going to do tomorrow, but for me, the weather takes a form of "be" while the non-referential "it" takes "do."

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
As far as I was taught, "to be going to" is used when expressing a plan in near future and knowing what will surely happen, all things are ready arranged, but "will" is used when expressing some ideas that have just been thought out at the time of speaking and the speaker doesn't intend before, all things are still possible (not sure) to happen in the future. So is there any exception ? As in the question "What is the weather going to be tomorrow?" this must be an exception if not so, we can't use "to be going to" here, if we know surely how the weather is tomorrow, we should say like "The weather is going to be hot tomorrow", but the question shows that we have no clue on the weather tomorrow so I think we can't use the structure "to be going to" in that question and "will" is more natural in this case.
Please explain more about the use of "will" and "to be going to" in this case (on the weather) for me !
Thank you very much !

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As far as I was taught, "to be going to" is used when expressing a plan in near future and knowing what will surely happen, all things are ready arranged, but "will" is used when expressing some ideas that have just been thought out at the time of speaking and the speaker doesn't intend before, all things are still possible (not sure) to happen in the future. So is there any exception ? As in the question "What is the weather going to be tomorrow?" this must be an exception if not so, we can't use "to be going to" here, if we know surely how the weather is tomorrow, we should say like "The weather is going to be hot tomorrow", but the question shows that we have no clue on the weather tomorrow so I think we can't use the structure "to be going to" in that question and "will" is more natural in this case.
Please explain more about the use of "will" and "to be going to" in this case (on the weather) for me !
Thank you very much !

This really needs a separate thread.

Very briefly, the (BE) going to future is best regarded as indicating that there is present evidence of a future situation. It is therefore often appropriate for taking about the weather:

It is going to rain. (I can see the black clouds in the sky or I have just heard the weather forecast.)
For a boring expansion of this idea, try: http://www.gramorak.com/Articles/Future.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.