Do you think your TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certificate is worth it?

• Thread starter lipofootoo
  • Start date
  • Views : 33,347
Status
Not open for further replies.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
L

lipofootoo

Better than online courses yeah. But I am here looking for opinions on the matter.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well then you'd better be a bit more precise than, "Are TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certificates worth it?"

If you are interested in working in TEFL, then of course a CELTA or Trinity CertTesol is worth having - they open the doors to some job opportunities that otherwise remain closed.

Is that what you mean?

L

lipofootoo

Right that's what they say, however, what percentage of the job pool for ESL teachers do you think that those jobs occupy?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Right that's what they say, however, what percentage of the job pool for ESL teachers do you think that those jobs occupy?
I have no idea.

I do know that it is very difficult to find a job in TEFL in a reputable school in the United Kingdom without a CELTA or Trinity Dip TESOL. It is difficult in most of Europe to find a job without some form of teaching certificate that has involved a course of 100+ hours and observed teaching practice.

lip420

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd say in my experience teaching in Asia, that they are less than 10%. Most schools are just looking for a degree.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd say in my experience teaching in Asia, that they are less than 10%. Most schools are just looking for a degree.
Of 62 jobs in Asia on tefl.com five minutes ago, 28 mentioned CELTA and 13 the Trinity Cert.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The original question wasn't confined to Asia.

lip420

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So what, in Korea, Japan, and Taiwan those requirements are rare. The majority of schools require what the gov't does and that is just a degree and to be a native speaker. TEFL/TESOL/CELTA is not required by the gov't. And only rarely do schools require that. That is the about 10% or less.

China is slightly different and schools will ask more for that, however, ironically you can also teach in China without a degree.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So what, in Korea, Japan, and Taiwan those requirements are rare. ...TEFL/TESOL/CELTA is not required by the gov't. And only rarely do schools require that. That is the about 10% or less.
That may be the case when one is there. However, many people applyiing for their jobs do so through sites like tefl.com, and there the figures for Asia appear to be about 45%.

You asked for our opinions, lip420, but seem to be interested only in discounting them and putting forward your views on the situation in Korea, Japan and Taiwan.

ps I have just tried tefl.com again; the figures for those ads mentioning CELTA were:

China – 19/42: 45%
Japan – 2/4: 50%
South Korea – 2/9: 22%

Last edited:

lip420

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What's Tefl.com selling?

It is an advertising center for those sorts of courses.

Here's the story they're telling on their website:

"Gone are the days when any native English speaker seeking a life of travel and adventure could pursue a successful career as a Teacher of English as a Foreign/Second Language without experience or qualifications. Almost all employers now seek teachers with a TEFL/TESL qualification plus experience, in addition to a first degree. Many even insist on an MA Linguistics/TEFL/TESL postgraduate qualification."

That's not the truth in Northeast Asia.

Most people I met teaching in Korea, Taiwan, Japan and China had no background in teaching or a TEFL/TESOL certification. Most just had degrees (in any discipline), and some didn't even have that.

Last edited by a moderator:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
To any potential teachers who are still with us, I must make a few things clear. lip420 is of course entitled to their opinion, but the facts are:

It is virtually impossible to obtain a teaching job in EFL/ESOL at a reputable school in the United Kingdom without a CELTA/Trinity CertTESOL.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to find a teaching job in EFL/ESOL at a reputable school in continental Europe without a qualification that has required at leat 100 hours of training, with a minimum of 6+hours of observed teaching. Many reputable schools value CELTA and the Trinity CertTESOL more than other certificates (whether this faith is justified or not is not really relevant. Would-be teachers need to understand what the situation is.) In the university sector and in the American side of the business, a Master's degee is a great help.

Rather more than the 10% of establishments that lip420 keeps talking about mention CELTA in their ads on sites such as tefl.com.

OK - those are the facts.

Now:
What's Tefl.com selling?
It is an advertising center for those sorts of courses.
Here's the story they're telling on their website:

"Gone are the days when any native English speaker seeking a life of travel and adventure could pursue a successful career as a Teacher of English as a Foreign/Second Language without experience or qualifications. Almost all employers now seek teachers with a TEFL/TESL qualification plus experience, in addition to a first degree. Many even insist on an MA Linguistics/TEFL/TESL postgraduate qualification."
Like most sites around, tefl.com almost certainly does make money from advertising courses. However, the words that I have coloured blue are becoming increasingly true for all reputable employers. Think about it - would you have any faith in an organisation that employs you as a teacher when you have no teaching qualification at all?

If you are interested only in bumming your way round the world, supporting yourself by charging people for the privilege of spending time with you under the guise of 'teaching English', then you will indeed find people without many scruples who will employ you. Some of them may even pay you what they promised - if you are lucky.

usingenglish.com makes no money at all from recommending CELTA, the Trinity CertTESOL, or any organisation offering a course of at least 100 hours plus at least six hours of observed teaching. Indeed, usingenglish.com does not recommend any course - some of us, as individual members, do, Those of us who recommend that potential teachers take such courses do so because we know from experience that it is almost impossible to embark on a serious career without such beginners' qualifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.