Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
The problem is that it is not clear what should be used after this verb (TO BE). I can't come up with any logic (rules) which would help me prevent making mistakes. If you see any logic here - please reveal it for learners.

1) All I do is drink (a bare infinitive, infinitive with to, gerund)

2) My task was to watch/watching after her.(a bare infinitive, infinitive with to, gerund)

3) All you need to remember is watching after her.(a bare infinitive, infinitive with to, gerund)

4) What we hope to accomplish is to point out the abuse.(a bare infinitive, infinitive with to, gerund)

How do I know when I should use a bare infinitive, an infinitive with to or the gerund after to be? I don't see how.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The problem is that it is not clear what should be used after this verb (TO BE). I can't come up with any logic (rules) which would help me prevent making mistakes. If you see any logic here - please reveal it for learners.

2) My task was to watch/watching after her.(a bare infinitive, infinitive with to, gerund)
Only "My task was to watch over her" is correct.

3) All you need to remember is watching after her.(a bare infinitive, infinitive with to, gerund)
Unless you're talking about remembering something you did in the past, then it should be "All you need to remember is to watch over her".

4) What we hope to accomplish is to point out the abuse.(a bare infinitive, infinitive with to, gerund)

How do I know when I should use a bare infinitive, an infinitive with to or the gerund after to be? I don't see how.

I'm not going to try to come up with a rule at this stage because two of your sentences weren't entirely correct. I have put the amended versions above in red.

I have changed "watch after" which I have never heard to "watch over". The alternative is "watch out for".

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you.
It is interesting but some english speaking people found this sentence to be correct.

Here it is a few sentences to back it up

1) Our task was doing maintenance and repairs to keep the station in a good state for the return of the shuttle flights and resumption of major ISS construction

2) Our second daunting task was watching the bird.

3) A light sprinkling or a sudden downpour can be upon you in a flash when you are concentrating avidly on a specific task - even if that task is watching the sky

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I can understand your concern about use of the bare infinitive etc.and emsr2d2 has given you a glimpse of some uses. There are more rules and associated verbs than can be detailed here. Suggest you Google "infinitives, gerunds uses" or similar terms and browse a few results until you find the most comprehensive set of rules to meet your interest.

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
I can understand your concern about use of the bare infinitive etc.and emsr2d2 has given you a glimpse of some uses. There are more rules and associated verbs than can be detailed here. Suggest you Google "infinitives, gerunds uses" or similar terms and browse a few results until you find the most comprehensive set of rules to meet your interest.

Thank for advice. But I am afraid there is none which would shed the light on this issue. I will explain why. This is a VERY SPECIFIC issue. It is not a broad issue relating to "infinitives, gerunds uses", not at all, this issue comes down to the usage of "infinitives, gerunds " only after the verb TO BE.

(...only after the verb TO BE)

I find it to be a critical element here.

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
Another thing about to remember

Some examples on the internet (It seems to me that they imply the future action after the verb TO REMEMBER.)

1) ... The second thing you need to pay attention to is that the watering places and the feeders are positioned in the right places and they're clean.......The last basic thing to remember is collecting the eggs.

Seems like it is said about the future in this context.

2) Level 6: in order to qualify for the 45% rakeback, the magic number to remember is collecting 16000 VIP points within a period of 1 month.

3) The last thing to remember is doing what has to be done to make it so there is more money coming in than there is going out of the household

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank for advice. But I am afraid there is none which would shed the light on this issue. I will explain why. This is a VERY SPECIFIC issue. It is not a broad issue relating to "infinitives, gerunds uses", not at all, this issue comes down to the usage of "infinitives, gerunds " only after the verb TO BE.

While it may be a "VERY SPECIFIC issue" for you, it also seems that you are VERY RELUCTANT to do any homework. Can you tell me how you know "there are none that would shed light on this issue"?

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
While it may be a "VERY SPECIFIC issue" for you, it also seems that you are VERY RELUCTANT to do any homework. Can you tell me how you know "there are none that would shed light on this issue"?
The point is taken. )) My answer is:

The matter is that I have been trying to find these rules for this SPECIFIC ISSUE for quite a long time (several months) and failed to find any. If you are lucky to have found some I would be more than happy to familiarize myself with them.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
:

If you are lucky to have found some I would be more than happy to familiarize myself with them.

I have found a very helpful thread. Where? Right here at usingenglish.com.

Please go to the search box and type in "Worthwhile etc." (Sorry, but I am too

stupid to be able to link to it.)

A member named MikeNewYork gives some very helpful advice in this 2006 thread.

Enjoy!

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
MikeNewYork has posted more than 6000 posts, I don't know how you find it feasable for me to find it there. It's almost like looking for a drop in the ocean.

By the way it is very easy to paste a link here. Just copy the link from your browser and paste it here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have found a very helpful thread. Where? Right here at usingenglish.com.

Please go to the search box and type in "Worthwhile etc." (Sorry, but I am too

stupid to be able to link to it.)

A member named MikeNewYork gives some very helpful advice in this 2006 thread.

Enjoy!

I've just typed "Worthwhile etc" into the search box but found no threads with that title.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've just typed "Worthwhile etc" into the search box but found no threads with that title.

That's curious. I have just typed those words in the box again, and it came up in

8 seconds. Thanks to the moderator, however, the link is now available to all

interested parties.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

As my FINAL RESPONSE to your VERY SPECIFIC issue and CRITICAL ELEMENT, I offer the following:

Be + Infinitive, Use

1) to state orders, instructions, requirements etc.
You are to stay here until we call.
2) to state a plan
She is to be married next month.
3) to state an (un)anticipated/(un)expected result
It started as a pleasant, sunny day, but it was to be one of the worst of their lives.

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
As my FINAL RESPONSE to your VERY SPECIFIC issue and CRITICAL ELEMENT, I offer the following:

Be + Infinitive, Use

Thank you, but I am sure you missed the point of my question and examples. The examples you have provided have nothing to do with mine provided in my first post.

You are to stay here until we call. - Is a modal construction which very much differs from my examples.

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
I have read the thread (of MikeNewYork) and can say that indeed two of the sentences from that thread deal with the issue I have brought up in this thread. They are

a. Part of my job as the President's secretary is to help organize conferences and keep him informed.
b. I told him a couple of rumors that I'd heard and his response was to roar with laughter and later tell other friends.

For the sake of focus I am going to eliminate some extra parts which don't add any principal meaning.

a. My job is to help.
b. His response was to roar.

That's all for now. I will give some thinking to it and would be glad to hear some new comments on the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.