Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Children: Love Your Parents

If you are someone's child, you are the next level in your family diagram. In being someone's child, ideally you are blessed to still have one or both parents in your life. They may be a text away or a short drive. They may even bepresent in your home. So what does G-d expect of you in the role of child? " 'Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the L-RD your God is giving you' " (Exodus20:12). This Old testament commandment was not just for those living before the time of Christ. It is repeated six times in the New Testament, validating its relevance in the life of a Christian. And of course, many parents' favorite verse: "Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the L-rd" (Colossians 3:20).

After may be we usually have an adjective, a noun or a verb (in ING form)

• He may be crazy. (may be + adjective)
  • He may be a genius. (may be + article + noun)
  • He may be trying too hard. (may be + verb ING form)
Maybe or May be ? What is the difference? | Woodward English

As you see that we can't use an adverb after "May be" – two words. So, it was put in the middle to avoid breaking English grammar rule, wasn’t it?

even adv ((EMPHASIS)) - definition in American English Dictionary - Cambridge Dictionary Online

Last edited by a moderator:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Children: Love Your Parents

If you are someone's child, you are the next level in your family diagram. In being someone's child, ideally you are blessed to still have one or both parents in your life. They may be a text away or a short drive. They may even be present in your home. So what does G-d expect of you in the role of child? " 'Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the L-RD your God is giving you' " (Exodus20:12). This Old testament commandment was not just for those living before the time of Christ. It is repeated six times in the New Testament, validating its relevance in the life of a Christian. And of course, many parents' favorite verse: "Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the L-rd" (Colossians 3:20).

As you see that we can't use an adverb after "May be" – two words. So, it was put in the middle to avoid breaking English grammar rule, wasn’t it?

even adv ((EMPHASIS)) - definition in American English Dictionary - Cambridge Dictionary Online
The first part of your post is too faint to be readable. Why did you do that?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's in its usual position.

I fancy watching a film tonight. I might even watch two!
He has great fashion sense. He has even won an award for the way he dresses.

In your original post, there was no need to remove letters from "god", "lord" etc and replace them with hyphens. We generally only do that with swear words (rude words).

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Thank you for your question. I did that because I didn’t intend to consume your precious time. I just wanted you to look at "May even be" not the whole context. Apologize for doing that and I will never do that in future posts/threads.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thank you for your question. I did that because I didn’t intend to consume your precious time. I just wanted you to look at "May even be" not the whole context. Apologize for doing that and I will never do that in future posts/threads.

In some cases, it actually takes longer to work out what is meant by a word with letters removed than just reading it. If you wanted to save our time, you could have just posted "... you are blessed to still have one or both parents in your life. They may be a text away or a short drive. They may even be present in your home."

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
As you see that we can't use an adverb after "May be" – two words.

This is not true. Note that they say 'After may be we usually have an adjective, a noun or a verb'.

You can use an adverb after 'may be'. There are 8,280,000 examples of "may be even" in Google Books. Here's one:

But things may be even worse when these jobs are filled - because payoffs may be making up the wage gap.
(Corruption and Government: Causes, Consequences, and Reform - Susan Rose-Ackerman)

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
In your original post, there was no need to remove letters from "god", "lord" etc and replace them with hyphens. We generally only do that with swear words (rude words).
But we can't erase the word "God" without showing disrespect. On the other hand, if we want to erase "G-d" and "L-rd" we can with showing respect to God. Thank you.
More:Why Do Some Jews Spell "God" G-d?

Never mind! Next time I will write it as you have said. You are a great teacher and I show you respect. Besides, it is a must to listen to your directives/lessons. Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Language discussion on this forum has nothing to do with religious respect. This forum is about words and language, not religion. As I said, the only words which should be adapted are those which should not be read by minors (those under 18) and which might offend some adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.