Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hello there! What does it mean when somebody says, "I did not take it on you! Thank you very much!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello there! What does it mean when somebody says, "I did not take it on you! Thank you very much!

I've never heard that.

Could it have been "I did not take it out on you"?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hitch, what is the context?

Hitch

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Let's say you have a friend who's disturbed and problematic and even depressed; despite this situation of his, he managed to get along very well, trying to be calm and nice. So you can say that: My friend was disturbed and depressed, but he did not take on me! I heard it from an interview of an American actress on Talk TV.

Thanks for the efforts.

Hitch

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Let's say you have a friend who's disturbed and problematic and even depressed; despite this situation of his, he managed to get along very well, trying to be calm and nice. So you can say that: My friend was disturbed and depressed, but he did not take on me! I heard it from an interview of an American actress on Talk TV.

That's what I remember from her narration. I don't remember a word "out" from her statement. But I appreciate your answer and that makes me think.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

That's what I remember from her narration. I don't remember a word "out" from her statement. But I appreciate your answer and that makes me think.

That quote makes no sense grammatically. I still think that it's more likely to have been "He didn't take it out on me" because that fits the context perfectly.

If you've had a very bad day at work and you go home and shout at your husband and your kids, you're "taking it out on them". It's not their fault you had a bad day but you treat them badly because you're in a bad mood.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would also use take it out on there.

Hitch

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Thank you very much! It's now clear in my mind! Now, I understand! Take care!

Status
Not open for further replies.