Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
" So it is a bit confusiog when vos Savant fields such queries from the average Joe as..."

I ask:1.what is the meaning of "field“

2.What does "it" refer to ?
Thanks!

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1> Field | Define Field at Dictionary.com
You might consider meaning 25: "25. to answer or reply skillfully: to field a difficult question. "

2> It is referring to the situation or time "when vos Savant fields such queries".

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good morning, notletrest:

My very good dictionary tells me that "to field" means to "deal with."

A good example is a presidential news conference (where the president of the United States stands up in front of dozens of

reporters and fields their many and varied questions). He has to answer the questions quickly and correctly. He has to "think on his

feet" (no time to slowly think about a good answer). Some leaders of some countries never field questions in that way. In some

countries, the president answers questions that have been written and given to him before the news conference. Thus, he has had time

to prepare the answers (that is, his assistants have done the hard work!). You have seen politicians, movie stars, etc.

fielding questions from yelling reporters while photographers take pictures. So you can imagine how vos Savant must feel when the

average Joe (ordinary people like me) asks him questions. He has to know how to answer them in an understandable manner that

even a stupid person like me can understand. Some people are famous for their ability to field questions without becoming angry or

confused. President Kennedy, for example, loved fielding questions of all kinds, and he always used humor in doing so.

I do not have the confidence to answer your question about "it."

HAVE A NICE DAY!

Edit: Many thanks to Mr. Smith for suggesting that I correct a sentence fragment in my original post.

Last edited:

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I agree with all the teachers, indeed. Many thanks to you!

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1> Field | Define Field at Dictionary.com
You might consider meaning 25: "25. to answer or reply skillfully: to field a difficult question. "

2> It is referring to the situation or time "when vos Savant fields such queries".
The following one reminds me whether your answer is right. "It is all deliciously ironic when you consider that Shakespeare, who earns their living, was himself an actor with a beard and did his share of noise-making." Here it refers to the that clause. But according to you, the situation or time is confusing. How can the situation or time is confusing, I cannot understand it. I think it should be the situation or time made Savant confused. Glad to hear your further teaching.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.