[Vocabulary] Do you think it sounds good? Is it in a good English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
This book is the fruit of a period of a self-imposted cloistored life. I had just ten months to write it and the story I have told needed a big deal of work and many pages for being told properly. Of couse, in order to end my work I did not shut myself away at home like the monk of the legend I have talked about in the book, and obviously I also survived the term "the end". But, without doubt, I lived a time of isolation. So, I would like to thank all my friends who have put up my family on Sunday afternoons, while I was stuck behind my keyboard, and who have never told me off for being an unreliable friend for nearly a year.
Telling such a type of story like the one I have tried to tell you has been like moving round through an unexplored land.
Dear readers, you can now judge the result of my travel (unless you are not reading my thanks first, although I have tried to hide them at the end of my book; but if you are already reading them, you will still have to judge and rank me and I really hope your reading is enjoyable and enthralling. Thank you so much for following me in this travel.

Pokemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
My knowledge of English isn't good enough too edit the post itself, so I'll dare correct the title only: "Is it good English?"

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This book is the fruit of a period of a self-[STRIKE]imposted[/STRIKE]imposed cloistered life. I had just ten months to write it and the story I have told needed a [STRIKE]big[/STRIKE]great deal of work and many pages for being told properly. Of course, in order to end my work I did not shut myself away at home like the monk of the legend I have talked about in the book, and obviously I also survived the term "the end". But, without doubt, I lived a [STRIKE]time[/STRIKE]period of isolation. So, I would like to thank all my friends who have put up my family on Sunday afternoons, while I was stuck behind my keyboard, and who have never told me off for being an unreliable friend for nearly a year.
Telling [STRIKE]such [/STRIKE]a type of story like the one I have tried to tell you has been like moving round through an unexplored land.
Dear readers, you can now judge the result of my travel [STRIKE](unless you are not reading my thanks first, although I have tried to hide them at the end of my book; but if you are already reading them, you will still have to judge and [STRIKE]rank[/STRIKE]rank me and[/STRIKE] (If "they" are not reading this passage, this statement is makes no sense.) I really hope your reading is enjoyable and enthralling. Thank you so much for following me in this travel.

A few changes/comments.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks so much for your help and the comment you have written, but I've got a few questions ;-):
1) "a big deal" is grammatically incorrect? or is "great deal" the unique correct form?
2) "....like moving round through an unexplored land"; do you think this expression is quite clear to let people understand what I mean?

Thanks so much for your help again.:)

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks so much for your help and the comment you have written, but I've got a few questions ;-):
1) "a big deal" is grammatically incorrect? or is "great deal" the unique correct form?
2) "....like moving round through an unexplored land"; do you think this expression is quite clear to let people understand what I mean?

Thanks so much for your help again.:)

#1 "a big deal" = something important; "a great deal of" = a lot of/much, or it could mean a bargain but not in the context you posted.

#2 clear enough to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.