Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
How do we pronounce the letter s in the word this when it comes before a word starts with the letter y in American English?

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
How do we pronounce the letter s in the word this when it comes before a word starts with the letter y in American English?
It's still voiceless, at least to me.

thi year :tick: <note that [y] can be devoiced>
thi[z] year :cross:

thatone

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Can be thi[sh]year

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Can be thi[sh]year
Good point! Yes, palatalization can occur in that environment (/s/ becomes [sh], an alveo-palatal). Good ear!

TheNewOne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I often hear [blesh] in a phrase "bless you".
Is it the same pronunciation as in "thi[sh] year"?
My teacher says it's better to pronounce [bles] because [blesh] is vulgar (or demotic?)

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
I often hear [blesh] in a phrase "bless you".
Is it the same pronunciation as in "thi[sh] year"?
Yes, it's the same pronunciation.

My teacher says it's better to pronounce [bles] because [blesh] is vulgar (or demotic?)
I have never heard of that; moreover, to my knowledge blesh isn't even a word in English. I wonder where your teacher got that information from. Please ask and let me know. It's something new to me and I would like to understand it better. Thanks.

TheNewOne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
lauralie2
to my knowledge blesh isn't even a word in English
[blesh] is a transcription of the word "bless".
I wonder where your teacher got that information from. Please ask and let me know.
I can't ask my teacher because it was at school some years ago (I remember I said "Bless [blesh] you" and she said "It's better to say "[bles] you"...". Her words engraved in my memory, but I'm not sure of correct use of the words "vulgar" and "demotic". Maybe that's why you don't understand me.

DreamingAnn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think "sounds like" something does not mean one should "pronounce it like" something.
I mean, when you pronounce A, it might sounded like B, but if you pronounce it B, it'll probably sounds like C.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It sounds to me as if your teacher was being over-prescriptive. She was probably the sort of person who would think that dropping one's aitches is as sign of vulgarity.

What she didn't realise is that the elision of /s/ to[FONT=&quot]/ʃ/ before /j/ is a normal feature of speech in conversation, even among educated people, as is the dropping of the aitch is such utterances as:

I think he's coming tomorrow.

In formal speech we pronounce the /s/ and /j/ of bless you, and the /h/ of he, but we would actually sound a little strange if we did that in everyday speech.

I am writing as a speaker of BrE, but I have noticed the same thing with speakers of AmE.
[/FONT]

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
lauralie2

[blesh] is a transcription of the word "bless".

I can't ask my teacher because it was at school some years ago (I remember I said "Bless [blesh] you" and she said "It's better to say "[bles] you"...". Her words engraved in my memory, but I'm not sure of correct use of the words "vulgar" and "demotic". Maybe that's why you don't understand me.
Where was your teacher from?

TheNewOne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
fivejedjon
Thank you for clearing up!
birdeen's call
She's from Russia.
What do you want from a provincial school-teacher? That's why I started learning English on my own with the help of different English books and Internet.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
She's from Russia.
What do you want from a provincial school-teacher? That's why I started learning English on my own with the help of different English books and Internet.
Your teacher was over-prescriptive in this particular case, but don't forget that much of the English teaching in the world is done by provincial schoolteachers. Sometimes their knowledge of grammar and pronunciation may be a little dated, but they do a pretty good job overall.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
She's from Russia.
I didn't mean to belittle your teacher! I was only curious.

TheNewOne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
fivejedjon
birdeen's call

I can't say my school teacher was bad (I just felt that I needed more knowledge than she could give me). Sometimes we disputed about some grammar questions and she told me I wasn't right so I had to prove my case (is it a correct saying?) to get a good mark.

thatone

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
It's amazing how some teachers, even after getting a degree in an English-speaking country, stop practicing pronunciation and don't keep up with the ever-changing vocabulary and grammar. Those who actually do, like the ones in this forum, are to be admired. But the truth is most don't, and are fairly incompetent compared to teachers of other subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.