English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Netherlands
Hello everyone!

I have recently completed my CELTA qualification and I'm now actively looking for work. I have an interview with Berlitz Netherlands, as a Language Instructor.

I was wondering if any teachers have any experience of this company? I know it is world-wide business, and is going to be very different from private English schools, but if anyone has any idea of what they offer to English teachers (or instructors in this case) I would love to hear it.

Many thanks.

Mairi.:)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Although Berlitz has a brand image, the schools actually differ, just as schools in most chains do.

If the teaching methods you practised on your CELTA course are important to you, then I suggest that you find out how closely you will have to toe the Berlitz line in the school you are applying to.

I know that at one time, some Berlitz schools actually charged would-be teachers for a training course in the Berlitz method before they could be accepted. If you have just got your CELTA, you do not need another training course yet, - though of course you will benefit from further training as you continue in your teaching career.

Mairi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Netherlands
I have heard of the Berlitz method, which would be interesting to know, but as you said, I have just completed my CELTA course and really wanted to get the chance to put these methods into action in the real world first.

Thanks for the information, I will make sure to ask lots of questions at the interview. :up:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have heard of the Berlitz method, which would be interesting to know, but as you said, I have just completed my CELTA course and really wanted to get the chance to put these methods into action in the real world first.

Thanks for the information, I will make sure to ask lots of questions at the interview. :up:
Please note that what follows is based on my own Berlitz experience many years ago. It may no longer be relevant; I am adding it only because nobody else has responded yet.

I have no regrets about my time with Berlitz, my first job in TEFL, and I actually learnt some useful techniques. However, when I moved on, I found that my Berlitz experience was not considered very valuable, and I still had far more to learn than I realised. If the Berlitz method is still as prescriptive as it was in the late 1960s, then I would not recommend a Berlitz job for someone straight off a CELTA course - you need practice in consolidating all the skills you have learnt.

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
I believe that Berlitz is a franchise business, so individual schools may vary in both their management and their adherence to the "Berlitz method."

From what I've read, they use the same communicative approach you'll have learned on your CELTA, so that shouldn't be a huge issue. My concern would be how corporate they are. The particular question I'd have is the access you have to material from a variety of sources, or whether the fact that Berlitz publishes their own material makes them unlikely to provide materials from other publishers. I don't know what the answer is, but it's an easy question to ask at an interview.

My general advice is that if you're keen on developing your CELTA methodology, try and find a school that is also a CELTA training centre. Not only will they probably use that methodology in practice, but any ongoing training they offer should build on what you've learned (in my case, the workshops are sometimes even done by my old CELTA trainers). However, the Netherlands isn't exactly an easy place for someone just off the CELTA to get employment.

Mairi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Netherlands
Thank you. I will be sure to ask about materials.
Why do you think the Netherlands isn't an easy place to find work for a recently qualified CELTA teacher? I know there are fewer jobs there than in other European countries, and the Dutch are particularly good English speakers, but are there any other reasons?

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
I think there's just a lot of competition for relatively few places because it's a very desirable place to live.

Airone

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Italy
Never worked there personally but Blitz has a poor reputation among fellow teachers in terms of pay and scheduling.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Estonia
As it's a franchise it all depends on the management of that particular branch. The corporate structure will only be as cumbersome as those enforcing it there, so get to know the management well beforehand.

Mairi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Netherlands
Thanks for your replies. I decided against working for Berltz as the pay was very low and they couldn't actually promise any hours! So I'm now trying to work as a private teacher.:cool:

Goku9

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Japan
Agree against working for Berlitz.

Not saying my experience was particularly bad there, but I was never sure when or even if I would be working as a part time teacher, I just had to keep hours open for them, and better pay can be found elsewhere.

I worked for Berlitz in Japan for a good five years, and hopefully I'll never have to go back just cause private students pay so much better, and they're thrilled at the more reasonable cost of lessons.

Status
Not open for further replies.