Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

I translate an audio file and there is a certain word that can't hear. I really hope that you can help me know it.

Here is the words that I can hear:
"If I'm a choleric how this is tie in with be always being a leader and really enjoying being a dance instructor. and how this time with... if I'm a sanguine of me always beig in front of people talking and may be I do comedy on the side because I really enjoy ...[this is what I miss]..."

enjoy [the aspep]
enjoy [the aspec]
enjoy [that astep]

I really can't get that at all.
Thanks in advance

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Looks like you've got all the phonemes, but didn't catch the consonant cluster - 'I really enjoy that aspect [of the life/role/business... - some implicit noun]'. But I can 't say I understand the whole piece.

b

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Looks like you've got all the phonemes, but didn't catch the consonant cluster - 'I really enjoy that aspect [of the life/role/business... - some implicit noun]'. But I can 't say I understand the whole piece.

b

Thanks.
Do you kindly have any idea about what this expression might mean:
"in front of people talking and may be I do comedy on the side because I really enjoy that aspect"

The problematic words here is:
"comedy" does it mean "mock"?
"on the side" does it mean "behind their back"?

I'll be so grateful if you help me even guess it.

Thanks a lot.

luschen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher, but I like comedy, so I will try to answer your questions.

"Do comedy" means to be a comedian, someone who tells jokes in front of an audience.

"On the side" means this isn't his normal, full time job. It is something he does part time, or during the hours when he is not working at his normal job.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
That's a very intriguing text. What does being choleric have to do with dance instruction....? I'm curious!

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
That's a very intriguing text. What does being choleric have to do with dance instruction....? I'm curious!

that's what I can't get, too.

or may be I heard it wrong but it is the same sound and also suits the word "sanguine" as far as she's taking about temperament.

I have a video splitter, and can split this minute drom the video and send it to you if you like. You, for sure, will get what she say at once.

i'm really trying my best.

Thanks a lot.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I am not a teacher, but I like comedy, so I will try to answer your questions.

"Do comedy" means to be a comedian, someone who tells jokes in front of an audience.

"On the side" means this isn't his normal, full time job. It is something he does part time, or during the hours when he is not working at his normal job.

Can't thank you enough.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
that's what I can't get, too.

or may be I heard it wrong but it is the same sound and also suits the word "sanguine" as far as she's taking about temperament.

I have a video splitter, and can split this minute drom the video and send it to you if you like. You, for sure, will get what she say at once.

i'm really trying my best.

Thanks a lot.

Sure, if you can upload it somewhere.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi maiabulela

With reference to "enjoy [that astep]", I assume what is meant is "enjoy that aspect".

Does this make reasonable sense in your context?

Best regards
R21

PS Some further thoughts:

"If I'm a clerk, how does this tie in with me always being a leader and really enjoying being a dance instructor - and how does this tie in with if I'm anxious of me always being in front of people talking - and may be I should do comedy on the side because I really enjoy that aspect."

Does this make any more sense?

Last edited:

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi maiabulela

With reference to "enjoy [that astep]", I assume what is meant is "enjoy that aspect".

Does this make reasonable sense in your context?

Best regards
R21

PS Some further thoughts:

"If I'm a clerk, how does this tie in with me always being a leader and really enjoying being a dance instructor - and how does this tie in with if I'm anxious of me always being in front of people talking - and may be I should do comedy on the side because I really enjoy that aspect."

Does this make any more sense?

What exactly do you mean by "clerk" here?

Thanks.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks.
Do you kindly have any idea about what this expression might mean:
"in front of people talking and may be I do comedy on the side because I really enjoy that aspect"

The problematic words here is:
"comedy" does it mean "mock"?
"on the side" does it mean "behind their back"?

I'll be so grateful if you help me even guess it.

Thanks a lot.

It's not a formal written sentence, that adheres to a fixed 'grammar' - he's 'thinking aloud' [that's an idiom - often used when someone doesn't have a clear idea yet, and wants to use someone as a 'sounding board' {another idiom!}: 'I'm not sure what I'll do, but - and I'm just thinking aloud here, so don't take it as a fixed plan,...]. '

The speaker works in a normal job, and is a semi-profeesional comedian in his free time. He's thinking something like '[When I'm] in front of people and talking [I enjoy being the centre of attention and making them laugh; come to think of it] maybe I do comedy on the side [for that reason -] because I really enjoy that aspect [of my day-time job].

b

PS Feel free to send me the clip. ;-)

Last edited:

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
So, I listened to the audio and...

Yes, the OP was right. This is some self-improvement/motivational stuff that uses the four temperaments model that's derived out of an extremely outdated theory of four humors. :-D

.... how do my hobbies line up with my temperament? of what I enjoy doing, does it kind of look the same? So, if I'm a cholelic, how does this tie in with me, you know, always being a leader and really enjoying being a dance instructor? Or how does, you know, this tie in with... um... if I'm a sanguine of me always being in front of people talking and maybe I do comedy on the side because I really enjoy, you know, that aspect.

A great orator she isn't.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Yes, the OP was right. This is some self-improvement/motivational stuff that uses the four temperaments model that's derived out of an extremely outdated theory of four humors. :-D

You can say that again! ;-) But at least it explains the rogue articles: 'a choleric... a sanguine'. [Note for the confused: people who believe in this hocus pocus refer to a person with a choleric/sanguine/melancholic/phlegmatic disposition as 'a c.../s.../m.../p...'.]

b

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt

I can't thank you enough, really. The structure is very difficult, though.
Now, for sure, the picture is clearer but i think I will take some time to produce an organized target language :( I'll think about it again and rephrase it to be translatable :oops:

Thanks aagin my dear.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt

Also, THANKS A LOT for the reference. It lead me to some other sources in my language. :up:

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi maiabulela

What exactly do you mean by "clerk" here?

Thanks.

Apologies for the delay in replying - I'm struggling with my internet connection.

Unaware of the context, subsequently provided by freezeframe, I was looking for a word that might possibly fit the context.

See:
clerk - definition of clerk by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
"A person who works in an office performing such tasks as keeping records, attending to correspondence, or filing."
As such, a clerk is "support staff" rather than one of the decision-makers who "lead" the main tasks performed by the office concerned - and hence could have fitted in with the context.

Interestingly, whilst looking up "clerk", I happened to notice the different AME vs UK English phonetic systems used - I'd never noticed it before.

clerk (klûrk; British klärk) - The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language (AME)
clerk [klɑːk (US and Canadian) klɜːrk] - Collins English Dictionary (UKE)

To me, basically:
"clerk" - AME rhymes with "perk"
"clerk" - UKE rhymes with "park"

Can any of the teachers out there advise: Is there/can there be a universal standard for phonetics?

Every single Thai-English tutorial book that I find uses a totally different phonetic system, presumably partly due to the difference between AME and UKE phonetics - very confusing!

Best regards
R21

PS Maybe this should be handled via a different forum?

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi maiabulela

Apologies for the delay in replying - I'm struggling with my internet connection.

Unaware of the context, subsequently provided by freezeframe, I was looking for a word that might possibly fit the context.

See:
clerk - definition of clerk by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
"A person who works in an office performing such tasks as keeping records, attending to correspondence, or filing."
As such, a clerk is "support staff" rather than one of the decision-makers who "lead" the main tasks performed by the office concerned - and hence could have fitted in with the context.

Interestingly, whilst looking up "clerk", I happened to notice the different AME vs UK English phonetic systems used - I'd never noticed it before.

clerk (klûrk; British klärk) - The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language (AME)
clerk [klɑːk (US and Canadian) klɜːrk] - Collins English Dictionary (UKE)

To me, basically:
"clerk" - UKE rhymes with "park"

Can any of the teachers out there advise: Is there/can there be a universal standard for phonetics?

Every single Thai-English tutorial book that I find uses a totally different phonetic system, presumably partly due to the difference between AME and UKE phonetics - very confusing!

Best regards
R21

PS Maybe this should be handled via a different forum?

British guide
BBC Learning English | Pronunciation Tips

American guide
Phonetics: The sounds of American English

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"clerk" - UKE rhymes with "park" For me, too.

There is a universally accepted phonetic alphabet, the International Phonetic Alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, in which each symbol represents one precisely defined sound. Trained phoneticians, whatever their native language, will use exactly the same symbol for any particular sound.

However, within each language/dialect area, lexicographers, publishers and teachers use simpler systems that suit their needs. When you use a dictionary, you need to check which system they are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.