Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Do you agree or disagree the following statement? Teachers should encourage their students to question everything.
I fully agree with this statement, because the student need to build a sense of criticism, and is necessary to know how to support an argument speech. The teacher should foster this habit for better education. The fundamentals for this claim are below:
As an associated professor at a local university, one of the things that I complain is the lack of opinion in freshmen students, they do not have the tools to set, in a straight way, their claims about any topic. It is important for them to build critical skills to overcome this kind of situation.
Furthermore, in order to improve the learning process the interaction between students and the professor in the lecture is one of the cornerstones. Their opinions and questions about the point stated in the exposition is one the main factor to solve the doubts and if the students do not have the capability to question the arguments, many of the aspects will be misunderstood.
Subsequently, to question everything will give them the ability to be more informed and confident when sharing their belief and opinions in public. Making them be more aware about the necessity of their participation in the classroom, and more open to use the learned knowledge in further explanations or lessons. They will enhance their rhetorical proficiencies, and better prepared to explain complex conceptualizations in their own word.
Moreover, this kind of methods had an historical and philosophical support. The fundamental of the Cartesian methods it holds on putting in question everything that belong to the reality surrounding, and by doing so, will be establishing the possibility of certain belief without prejudice or mistake. This kind of reasoning process is a major benefit for their future career.
In conclusion, it is my believe that the student should question everything. This method of understanding improve their proficiency by building a critical sense and better ways to share their opinions.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When do you have to submit your piece to your TOEFL teacher/tutor?

Rattlehead

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Well, I don't have a writing tutor for the Toefl I'm preparing the test by myself checking my grammar in textbooks and using ginger. I will be very pleased if you can correct the passage. There is nothing compare to human correction.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, I don't have a writing tutor for the [STRIKE]Toefl[/STRIKE] TOEFL. I'm preparing for the test by myself, checking my grammar in textbooks and using ginger. I will be very [STRIKE]pleased[/STRIKE] grateful if you [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] could/would correct the passage. There is nothing [STRIKE]compare to[/STRIKE] quite like human correction.

OK, Rattlehead. I wanted to check if you were going to submit this because we don't help with homework. If you're preparing on your own, then we are your tutor! I will try to take a look at your piece later if someone else doesn't do it first. Meanwhile, have a quick look at the amendments I made to your post. Remember to fully capitalise TOEFL.

There was one thing I didn't understand. What did you mean by "I'm preparing ... by using ginger". Are you drinking lots of ginger tea? Eating lots of gingery foods? I know it's quite good for brain power but I didn't realise it was that good! ;-)

Rattlehead

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Thanks for the help. Well, Ginger is a grammar software which you can download for free and pay for further apps. I do not know if I am allow to put the link here, but you can google it. I know that ginger roots tea are good for the brain, but I prefer and recommend Ginko biloba.
Oh, another thing I would like to ask you, If I could submit to you one short-essay per day.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the help. Well, Ginger is a grammar software which you can download for free and pay for further apps. I do not know if I am allow to put the link here, but you can google it. I know that ginger roots tea are good for the brain, but I prefer and recommend Ginko biloba.
Oh, another thing I would like to ask you, If I could submit to you one short-essay per day.

I had never come across Ginger before (remember to put a capital letter at the start when you're talking about the software/product and not the vegetable root!) but I have now Googled it and see what you mean.
Gingko biloba is marvellous stuff.

You can post a short essay in this section every day if you wish but there is no guarantee that it will be looked at. There are a lot of threads in this part of the forum and there is usually a backlog because it takes far longer to deal with an essay than with the individual questions which appear in the Ask a Teacher section.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Teachers should encourage their students to question everything.

I fully agree with this statement, because [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] students need to build [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE][STRIKE] sense of criticism[/STRIKE] their ability to criticise, and it is necessary to know how to support an argument. [STRIKE]speech[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]The[/STRIKE] A good teacher should foster this habit. [STRIKE]for better education.[/STRIKE] The fundamentals for this claim are below:

As an [STRIKE]associated[/STRIKE] associate professor at a local university, one of the things that I complain about is the lack of opinion in freshmen [STRIKE]students[/STRIKE] - they do not have the tools to set out, in a straightforward way, their claims about any topic. It is important for them to build critical skills to overcome this kind of situation.

Furthermore, in order to improve the learning process, [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] interaction between the students and the professor in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a lecture is one of the cornerstones. Their opinions and questions about the point stated in the exposition is one of the main factors to solve the doubts and if the students do not have the capability to question the arguments, many of the aspects will be misunderstood. (The whole underlined sentence is messy and I really don't understand what you meant. Can you try to reword it?)

Consequently, [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] questioning everything will give them the ability to be more informed and confident when sharing their beliefs and opinions in public, making them [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] more aware [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] of the necessity of [STRIKE]their[/STRIKE] participating in the classroom, and more open to using the learned knowledge in further explanations or lessons. They will enhance their rhetorical [STRIKE]proficiencies[/STRIKE] proficiency, and be better prepared to explain complex conceptualizations in their own words.

Moreover, [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] these kinds of methods [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] have [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE]historical and philosophical support. The fundamental of the Cartesian [STRIKE]methods[/STRIKE] method [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]holds[/STRIKE] relies on [STRIKE]putting in[/STRIKE] questioning everything that belongs to the surrounding reality [STRIKE]surrounding[/STRIKE] and, by doing so, [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] establishes[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] the possibility of certain belief without prejudice or mistake. This kind of reasoning process is a major benefit for their future careers.

In conclusion, it is my [STRIKE]believe[/STRIKE] belief that [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] students should question everything. This method of understanding improves their proficiency by building a critical sense and better ways to share their opinions.

Please see my suggested amendments above. Your subject/verb agreement needs a little work as does your singular/plural usage. Please note that as I am not familiar with the "fundamentals of the Cartesian method", I have had to use my imagination a little with my corrections to that part. Someone else may have a better understanding of the subject and make better amendments.

Rattlehead

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
I'll try to reword the misunderstood sentences: "Their opinions and questions about the point stated in the exposition is one of the main factors to solve the doubts and if the students do not have the capability to question the arguments, many of the aspects will be misunderstood."

Reword:
In order to achieve a good interaction, the students' opinion about the lecture's arguments is one of the main factor to solve their doubts. Hence, If they do not have the capability to questioning the arguments, many of the knowlegde on the dissertation will be misunderstood.

Well, the Cartesian Method, was used and created by Rene Descartes. If you have time and like to read, "The discurse on the method" talks about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.