Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've made a list here, if you can get these right it will make a big difference!

London English Classes

please add more if I've forgotten any of your "favourites"!

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi Martin,

Just to let you know that, even though "ananás" is a word known in Spain, it's basically a crosswords one. In everyday conversation you'll hear people speak of "piña" instead.

charliedeut

PS: The only one food word you listed which I mispronounced was "salmon" (I had never even checked its correct pronunciation; I just assumed it was just a matter of placing the stress in the first syllable instead of in hte second, as in "salmón" in Spanish).

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why is fruit, juice, and salt on the list? How do people say those?

MartinEnglish

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
fruit gets rhymed with "feet" ("Freet")
juice - has a w appear in it and rhymes with piece ("jwiece")
salt - where the "sal" is like "sally"

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi Martin,

Just to let you know that, even though "ananás" is a word known in Spain, it's basically a crosswords one. In everyday conversation you'll hear people speak of "piña" instead.

charliedeut

<sidebar>
Speaking of which, it is with great sadness that I have to report that in the UK I have never heard 'piña colada' as anything but /pi:nǝ.../. I blame that dreadful song! ;-)
</sidebar>

MartinEnglish

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What other words would people add to the list? I'd be interested to hear suggestions from both teachers and students!

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
In Spain, people typically have a problem with "steak" (it'd usually be pronounced /stɪk/), "sugar" (/sʊgɒr/, no /ʃ/, and the final 'r' well marked, as is done in Spanish) and, as a rule, anything containing long vowels, like "tea" (/tɪ/, not /ti:/).

There are more, but I cannot remember more as of now. I'll try to update the list as words come to my mind.

charliedeut

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In Spain, people typically have a problem with "steak" (it'd usually be pronounced /stɪk/)...

And there's often what's known in the trade as 'an epenthetic vowel', making it /ə'stɪk/ or /ə'stek/. This happens with many consonant clusters starting with s. (I was a salesman in Spain for, among other magazines, 'Motor Sport' - in my misspent youth. In order to be understood I had to learn to call it something like [mo'tor e'spor];-) This is common in Spain (E-spaña). But Spanish isn't the only language affected: the acute accent on French é marks the dropping of an s - Eng 'state'/Fr état etc, and elsewhere - Smyrna/Ismirna).

b

Last edited:

MartinEnglish

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
yeah, steak is a good one

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Leicester cheese :shock:

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
And there's often what's known in the trade as 'an epenthetic vowel', making it /ə'stɪk/ or /ə'stek/. I was about to edit the post, mentioning this "initial 'e' feature", but I see I'm late ;-) This happens with many consonant clusters starting with s. (I was a salesman in Spain for, among other magazines, 'Motor Sport' - in my misspent youth. In order to be understood I had to learn to call it something like [mo'tor e'spor];-) This is common in Spain (E-spaña. But Spanish isn't the only language affected: the acute accent on French é marks the dropping of an s - Eng 'state'/Fr état etc, and elsewhere - Smyrna/Ismirna).

b

Thanks, Mr. Harmless Drudge! ;-)

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Another common misrponounced food word (in Spain at least) is "pear" /'piar/ or even /'piar/ is what you'll hear more often than not.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And that famous British national dish "feesh 'n ships".

Status
Not open for further replies.