Fill the swimming pool with water to half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jit833

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Canada
1) Fill the swimming pool with water to half.
2) Fill the swimming pool with water to half full.
3) The swimming pool overflowed and caused the water level to decrease to half or by half? ( Which is correct, by half or to half?)

Are the above sentence correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Half fill the swimming pool with water.

The swimming pool overflowed and caused the water level to decrease to half or by half?
I don't see how the amount of water in a pool can decrease if the pool is overflowing.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could it mean that it overflowed and half the water went to waste...:-? (That would mean that 'the water' meant something other than the contents of the pool).

b

Jit833

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Canada
Half fill the swimming pool with water.The swimming pool overflowed and caused the water level to decrease to half or by half? I don't see how the amount of water in a pool can decrease if the pool is overflowing.
Thanks for replying.I just wanted to construct sentences by using the word decrease, therefore I chose swimming pool.How about if I construct a new sentence? He jumped into the bathtub and cause the water to overflowed and the water level to decreased by/to half. Is the above sentence correct?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
... He jumped into the bathtub and caused* the water to overflow[STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE] and the water level to decrease[STRIKE]d[/STRIKE] by/to[Either! - it amounts to the same; depends whether you're a 'pool half full' or 'pool half empty' sort of guy. But 'by' is more likely] half. Is the above sentence correct?
b

PS * Missed this - :oops:

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
He jumped into the bathtub and caused the water to [STRIKE]overflowed[/STRIKE] overflow and the water level to [STRIKE]decreased[/STRIKE] decrease by/to half.

See the amendments above.

Status
Not open for further replies.