Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
The situation calmed down/ cooled down.

Are they both possible? Is there any difference between them?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The situation calmed down/ cooled down.

Are they both possible? Is there any difference between them?

They are both used. They're not quite the same.

I would use "cool down" to mean "stop being angry". However, although "calm down" can also be used to ask someone to stop being angry, it can also be said to someone who is very upset or sad. I wouldn't say "cool down" to someone who was sad or upset.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree that "cool down" applies to anger, but I would never tell someone who was very sad to "calm down."

In fact, I really suggest never telling anyone to cool down or calm down. Being told to calm down when I"m not angry in the first place is pretty much guaranteed to make me become angry!

I know that wasn't your question, though. For you original question, I agree with ems.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
I think it's interesting how we all applied both cooled down and calmed down to humans, when the question was "the situation".

I think a situation can cool down, but can it calm down? I'm going to hit the "submit reply" button without conviction, and wait for your replies.

John

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think it's interesting how we all applied both cooled down and calmed down to humans, when the question was "the situation".

I think a situation can cool down, but can it calm down? I'm going to hit the "submit reply" button without conviction, and wait for your replies.

John

That's a very good point and even though I read the question in its entirety, I immediately started thinking about its usage when applied to humans (as an imperative!)

I don't think I would be surprised if I heard either phrase used to describe a situation.

"After three nights of looting in London, the situation has calmed down and police are no longer patrolling the streets."

In fact, having typed that, I would now say that I would expect to hear "calmed down" more than "cooled down" in that sentence.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
So, for a not native English speaker, what do you suggest? When "calm down" and when "cool down" (both for humans and for things such as a situation, or anger, for example)? I have not caught it yet...;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There is not the sort of clear answer I suspect you would like. Although some native speakers feel some sort of difference, that difference is not easy to pin down. My personal view, for what it's worth, is that 'calm down' is the safer option for both people and situations.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you all very much

Status
Not open for further replies.