Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What do you call a very very poor person who doesn't have anything and sleeps on the street, usually in a carton box?

buggles

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What do you call a very very poor person who doesn't have anything and sleeps on the street, usually in a carton box?

It depends how charitable you're feeling! In the UK, we refer to "homeless people" which is non-judgemental, but they can also be called "tramps" or even "derelicts". In the US, they use words like "hobo" and "bum", while "vagrant" is used in both the UK and in the US.

buggles (not a teacher).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It depends how charitable you're feeling! In the UK, we refer to "homeless people" which is non-judgemental, but they can also be called "tramps" or even "derelicts". In the US, they use words like "hobo" and "bum", while "vagrant" is used in both the UK and in the US.

buggles (not a teacher).

In the US, we call them "homeless" as well. I haven't heard the words "hobo" used in my life except in fiction books set in the past when "riding the rails" was considered romantic. We use "bum" for many people, including an athlete who is playing poorly or your Congressman.

We have a PC phrase too, but I can't think of it either.

Last edited:

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
'Homeless' is also how it's said in Australia. However, if people choose to be more offencive, 'Hobo', 'Derro', 'Bum', and numerous others are used....It's sad that there are more offensive words to call them than nice/neutral words...

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That PC term has the word "diplaced" in it, I think. I just can't remember it right now, though.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The UK PC term was something like "domicilely challenged" or "between homes", but neither of them is exactly right. The latter was connected to "between jobs" meaning unemployed.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've seen unhoused used too.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[In Australia]..'Hobo', 'Derro', 'Bum', and numerous others are used....
I don't think anyone has mentioned 'derelict' yet - now archaic in Br Eng except when it refers to buildings or property. But that's obviously where 'derro' came from.

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In the US, we call them "homeless" as well. I haven't heard the words "hobo" used in my life except in fiction books set in the past when "riding the rails" was considered romantic. We use "bum" for many people, including an athlete who is playing poorly or your Congressman.

We have a PC phrase too, but I can't think of it either.
Wow, that's a minor shock to me. I do hear the word "hobo" on American TV from time to time, and I thought it was a pretty common word. I can only think of one person, Craig Ferguson, who uses the word a lot, and he's not a native speaker of American English, but I'd have bet my arm I've heard it from other people, without any reference to the romance of being homeless. I understand I need to rethink that bet. :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just to clarify, the idea of being homeless because you have become desitute and lost your home has never been romantic. That's just sad. But there is a romantacized notion that there was a time when there were people with no fixed addess, who hopped on trains (illegally) to take them from one spot to another, sitting around campfire at night with others who did the same thing, and while they had no money they had their freedom, etc. Those are the types of people you might refer to as hobos.

I have never, not once, seen an unfortunate person on the street and heard someone say "We should do something about/for the hobos" or "I was shocked to find a hobo using the bathroom in our office building."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm guilty of having misunderstood the use of the word "hobo" too, in that case. I thought it was an AmE term for homeless people.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As with everything, usage can be very regional. You might from someone from the deep South or California weighing in tonight saying "I don't know what this Barb person means. That's all we ever call them!"

However, it does make me remember that "street people" is sometimes heard too.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm guilty of having misunderstood the use of the word "hobo" too, in that case. I thought it was an AmE term for homeless people.
Me too, reinforced by the song There But for Fortune. When Joan Baez sang 'show me the hobo who sleeps out in the rain' I wrongly assumed (encouraged by my happy-clappy mentors ;-)) that anyone who slept out in the rain was a hobo.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.