Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hello! Here's my query......... If you ask, "Do you have to make so much noise?" you're asking "Is it necessary...?" So then, asking, "Do you need to make...?" would be also correct??? :?: Thanks!​

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That would be okay too.

Neither is very polite, of course.

Intoarut

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Thank you!! :-D

catalian

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
"Neither is very polite of course" But given the circumstances, that other people are disturbing you with their noise, I think the tone is just right. What do we have to say? I'm sorry for interrupting, but do you think you could be ever so kind and try to make a little less noise?
At least with "Do you have to make so much noise" you are giving them the option to justify their actions :lol:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As Barb rightly pointed out, "Do you have to make so much noise?" is not very polite. It is usually not intended to be polite, and it is not intended to give them the option to justifiy it.

You can be politer without going to the lengths you did. "Do you think you could keep the noise down a little, please?" is one of several options.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree. The people may not realize they are being noisy, or just lost track of their circumstances. I see no reason not to take a polite approach first, and give them the benefit of the doubt.

jacksonema

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
United States
You are right. I agree with you.
thanks for giving suggestion.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As Barb rightly pointed out, "Do you have to make so much noise?" is not very polite. It is usually not intended to be polite, and it is not intended to give them the option to justifiy it.

You can be politer without going to the lengths you did. "Do you think you could keep the noise down a little, please?" is one of several options.
:up: And less polite too. One of my favourite idioms among the many that refer to a past technology is 'Put a sock in it' ('it' being the horn of a wind-up gramophone* - putting a rolled-up piece of fabric (say, a sock) in it was the only way of controlling the volume.)

* http://www.scoreforaholeintheground.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/gramophone.jpg

b

Status
Not open for further replies.