Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
"Hello World!" is simply direct address and would be diagrammed on two separate lines. A sentence MUST include predication where something is told about something. All R-K's will have a plus sign somewhere in them to indicate this predication.

That would be very interesting to hear some of my students try to teach.

Hmm, I see. So the 'plus' sign is used to connect the subject and the predicate in R-K's, right? Like this:

I diagram sentences.
I diagram + sentences.

By the way, I think I understand there are more than one sentence diagramming methods? R-K would be one of them, maybe the most important/known/used one?

PS I suspected there would be problems with 'Hello World'. I just picked it up because we were previously talking about computers and this expression is a
traditional one programmers use whenever they begin learning a new programming language (traditionally 'Hello World' is the first program you write in a new language).

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My students are watching me do this.

That plus isn't quite right. And the plus should go after "I" . "Sentences" is the direct object. More later.

lil BoNeRZ

Member Type
Other
Hi im lil bonerz if you dont no me or seen me i'd like to learn how diagram sentences. Frank Astonson teach me how to diagram sentences please that would get me excited bye.

lil wiener

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hey I just got off a plane from Thailand to the states once again as I am going to be attending college here. I am very sorry students but I was not able to help you on your website as I couldn't figure out a way past that.

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey I just got off a plane from Thailand to the states once again as I am going to be attending college here. I am very sorry students but I was not able to help you on your website as I couldn't figure out a way past that.

that is ok! i haven't found one i liked yet anyways. maybe i can learn some CSS next year in the high school!

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
have fun in college!:-D

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
My students are watching me do this.

That plus isn't quite right. And the plus should go after "I" . "Sentences" is the direct object. More later.

OK, so it would go like:

__I | + | diagram sentences.

What is the main idea of diagramming sentences? Classify the parts of speech?
In that example I is the subject and diagram sentences the predicate, right?
And sentences is the object of the verb diagram - how does the diagram tell that?

I'd like to hear Mr Antonson's students.

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ok, here is what my notes say:

"Interjections and nouns of direct address are not part of the predication and are diagrammed on own, unconnected lines.
example (e.g.)
Sentence: Hello Abstract Idea, what do you think?

example on direct objects for using english.JPG

(the example is attached as a .jpg)
Also, I do not know if this is what you want.:-( If it doesn't maybe Mr. Antonson can help.

Another thing (this is for the whole forum), I now have the website set up that you can connect your account on the Humanities/Language Notes site with your Facebook account!:-D

in ur pants

Member Type
English Teacher
You people should get a life. Sentence diagramming is so old. Just learn whats new and exciting. :cool: Maybe take a trip to Lizachumea or something. I've heard that its pretty exciting there!

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OK, so it would go like:

__I | + | diagram sentences.

What is the main idea of diagramming sentences? Classify the parts of speech?
In that example I is the subject and diagram sentences the predicate, right?
And sentences is the object of the verb diagram - how does the diagram tell that?

I'd like to hear Mr Antonson's students.

The purpose is certainly NOT to classify the parts of speech, but rather the parts of sentences. It is the confusion of the two which becomes the Achilles' heel of those who wish to teach the art.

The diagram above does not really explain what is going on. "...diagram sentences..." is the COMPLETE predicate. "...diagram..." is the SIMPLE predicate. "...sentences..." is the direct object.

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@in ur pants
Have you ever learned how to diagram sentences? Because a whole lot of people love diagramming sentences and think it is fun. Why don't you check my website about our notes? Link: Home - Notes for Humanities/Language

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi im lil bonerz if you dont no me or seen me i'd like to learn how diagram sentences. Frank Astonson teach me how to diagram sentences please that would get me excited bye.

This could easily be one of my students again. The last time it was. That one, who spoke of "turtles", was revealed to me by the other students. I will speak to him tomorrow.

Forum, please be patient.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
This could easily be one of my students again. The last time it was. That one, who spoke of "turtles", was revealed to me by the other students. I will speak to him tomorrow.

Forum, please be patient.

I'm almost sure all the newbies in this thread are your kids Mr Antonson!

But we are patient of course. Don't worry; it is really worth it.

Nick Rummel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I really didn't think that many kids from school were on here. So far, I know of Dane, Haylee, and me.

suck it now

Member Type
English Teacher
Olá, como você pode dizer que eu não falo muito Inglês, mas eu gostaria de alguma ajuda, porque eu estou realmente interessado. Lamento o meu nome.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
O seu nome e realmente um problema. Porque nao muda?

Sorry about that portuguese. At this computer I can't use the symbols I need.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm almost sure all the newbies in this thread are your kids Mr Antonson!

But we are patient of course. Don't worry; it is really worth it.

Yes, Abstract Idea, I think you are right on both accounts -- that the newbies are some of my students and that it is worth it to put up with these losers.

In the meantime, some of the winners among my students are doing some pretty interesting investigative work to figure out who the losers are.

In any case, I intend to turn away from Reed-Kellogg instruction for a week or so in order to let the excitement lessen.

I can't tell you how much I have appreciated your interest and support.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.