Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Dear users,
I am having an exam from Phonetics tomorrow and I just discovered a curious thing when studying our mock test.
I am to classify a given consonant according to place of articulation, manner of articulation and few others. But there is one category labeled as: "type (real...)"
I cannot find what that means. Anyone has a clue? I am going to search my Gimson book in the meantime :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But there is one category labeled as: "type (real...)"
I cannot find what that means.
Nothing springs to mind. Do the three dots after 'real' stand for missing words? If so, could you let us know what they are, please?

Jigster

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No, this is the actual text there. I think the teacher is trying to give us a clue by typing "real" there and having us figure out the rest. I took a liberty of photographing the mock test, the quality is pretty bad (not a fancy phone), but perhaps something can be made out. (please try to ignore my gibberish written with pen)
Obraz064.jpg
Anyway, my classmate suggested, that the classification could be "real, nasal and liquid", but she is not sure either.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The only thing I can think of for 'type' is 'plosive/fricative/affricate/etc'. Unfortunately, I don't see the relevance of 'real'.

Jigster

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, yes, I thought that too. These types are wanted in the "manner of articulation" part. Nevermind, I am going to bed. But thank you anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.