Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Ah, 'art' is archaic 'are' here!!! :shock: Thank you. Of course I thought of it as a NOUN! Now THAT makes sense.
... my country, you
Are like good health...

Back to the Baltics. The way people pronounce Lithuania always sounded 4-syllabic to me -- [li-thuei-ni-a]. That's why I couldn't understand the stress on 'li'. The dictionary gives [li-thju-ei-ni-a]. (although this 'thju' is almost imperceptible in speech isn't it?)
Now I can see why 'li' has a slight stress given that Lithuania has 5 syllables:

O Lithuania my country thou. and this makes iambic tetrameter for me.
Now the only thing that I don't understand is the stress on the last 'a'.
Do you accentuate it when you read the line? It just sounds awkward to me if I do.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, 'art' is archaic 'are' here!!! :shock: Thank you. Of course I thought of it as a NOUN! Now THAT makes sense.
... my country, you
Are like good health...

Back to the Baltics. The way people pronounce Lithuania always sounded 4-syllabic to me -- [li-thuei-ni-a]. That's why I couldn't understand the stress on 'li'. The dictionary gives [li-thju-ei-ni-a]. (although this 'thju' is almost imperceptible in speech isn't it?)
Now I can see why 'li' has a slight stress given that Lithuania has 5 syllables:

O Lithuania my country thou. and this makes iambic tetrameter for me.
Now the only thing that I don't understand is the stress on the last 'a'.
Do you accentuate it when you read the line? It just sounds awkward to me if I do.

We speakers of English aren't very good at pronouncing other languages' diphthongs! Mrs Thatcher used it almost as a weapon of war 'Gal-ti-e-ri'; the message was 'You foreigners may think it has only three syllables, but I shall do what's right!'

I don't stress the 'a' at the end. I think you're confusing word stress with poetical stress. Perhaps they are more closely linked in your language's literature. The 'a' is not stressed; is just has more weight than 'my'.

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi, Alan. Could you please type more carefully? Capital letters and apostrophes won't harm you.

No, it wasn't written by Shakespeare. It was written by Adam Mickiewicz.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have been too lazy to read all of the posts, but I immediately thought that so much may have depended upon the performance of the speaker, that is, to recite to a beat.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have been too lazy to read all of the posts, but I immediately thought that so much may have depended upon the performance of the speaker, that is, to recite to a beat.
One reason I abstain from participation in such discussions on metre, apart from my ignorance, is that I feel that sometimes what the poet intends and what the reader feels may be two different things.

I gave up any serious attempt to decide what type of metre was used when I read once:

[FONT=&quot]If we read the first two syllables of an amphibrachic line as an iambus, the remainder of the line may be considered as anapæstic, e.g. – [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There cáme│to the beách │a poor éx│ile of É│rin,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The déw│on his thín│robe was heá│vy and chíll.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Similarly, if we read the first two syllables of a dactylic line as a trochee, the remainder of the line may be considered as amphibrachic, e.g. –[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bríghtest│and bést of│the sóns of│the mórning.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Daniel, the Rev. Canon (1904) The Grammar, History and Derivation of the English Language, London: National Society’s Depository[/FONT]

It seems that you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I feel it's difficult. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.