Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hello. Are there any rules regarding the identification of the accented syllable of a word?

English pronunciation can't be more difficult. I don't understand where to put the emphasis on a word, not least how to say it properly. I learnt -yesterday- that "look" and "food" are pronounced in a different way, even though they have the same spelling. What native speakers do when they encounter a new word? How they say it?

Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello. Are there any rules regarding the identification of the accented syllable of a word?

English pronunciation can't be more difficult. I don't understand where to put the emphasis on a word, not least how to say it properly. I learnt -yesterday- that "look" and "food" are pronounced in a different way, even though they have the same spelling. What native speakers do when they encounter a new word? How they say it?

Thank you

They don't have the same spelling. They happen to have the same double consonant. However, you are right that English pronunciation is, to say the least, a bit of a nightmare! In many cases, you just have to find the pronunciation in a good dictionary or on a site such as Forvo.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In general, Anglo-saxon nouns are stressed on the first syllable, Latin ones on the second-last.
Anglo-Saxon verbs are stressed most often on the second syllable, and English has generally adapted foreign verbs to fit this mould as well. Such rules will give you the right stress in over 50% of cases --- better than a monkey could do.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In general, Anglo-saxon nouns are stressed on the first syllable, Latin ones on the second-last.
Anglo-Saxon verbs are stressed most often on the second syllable, and English has generally adapted foreign verbs to fit this mould as well. Such rules will give you the right stress in over 50% of cases --- better than a monkey could do.
Fine, except that most people, even native speakers have no idea of whether a noun or verb is Anglo-Saxon or Latin in origin.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
True, but a native Argentine can recognise which is which in most cases, and people who know French can often tell even more easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.