Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Hi there

Is the phrase "thanks for the game" a phrase you normally use in English?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi there

Is the phrase "Thanks for the game" a phrase you normally use in English?

As always, it depends on context!

If you have just finished a sports game/match against an opponent (or against another team) then you can say "Thanks for the game".

If someone gives you a board game (Monopoly etc) or something similar as a present then you could also say it.

What context did you have in mind?

lo2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
It is in the context when you have just finished a game for instance a board game like chess, to like say thank you playing with me and this was a nice game.

But I kind of think you have already answered my question in your first post. So thanks for the answer :-D

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is in the context of when you have just finished a game, for instance a board game like chess, to [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] say thank you for playing with me and that this was a nice game.

But I kind of think you have already answered my question in your first post. So thanks for the answer :-D

I'm glad it helped.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE "thanks for the game" is often used after a "pick-up" game of some sort. For example, you and a few friends are dribbling a basketball and shooting baskets on a public court but there aren't enough players to actually play a regulation game. A group of passers-by see you and ask "Want to get up a game?" and you agree. Now you've got enough players to form two teams and play a regulation game of basketball. When you're done playing, you would typically tell the newcomers "thanks for the game."

Status
Not open for further replies.