Question on grammar punctuation marks to be removed from direct to reported speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
Do you agree with this explanation? Could it be better?
When we change a sentence from direct speech to reported speech we always remove quotation marks, periods, commas, question marks, and exclamation marks.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
When we change a sentence from direct speech to reported speech we always remove quotation marks, periods, commas, question marks, and exclamation marks from the original. This would work for simple sentences.

Thanks in advance.

Note that the reported sentence will need its own punctuation, so what you do is modify the punctuation in the original. Also, there may be embedded/subordinate clauses in hte original, whose punctuation you may want to keep, just changing the verb tense.

Greetings,

charliedeut

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi teachers,
When we change a sentence from direct speech to reported speech we always remove quotation marks, periods, commas, question marks, and exclamation marks.

Thanks in advance.

Can you give us an example of a sentence in direct speech and then in reported speech, just so that we can see an example you might give you students and show how it fits your instruction?

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Can you give us an example of a sentence in direct speech and then in reported speech, just so that we can see an example you might give you students and show how it fits your instruction?

Direct Speech
1.You have to find a better job,Joan said.
2.Does the manager know Julia often comes late? Tina asked.
3.No, he doesn’t. Rose answered.
4.What do you do? Frank asked Tom.
5.I am an architect, Tom answered.
6.Perhaps it’s time to go home,Tim thought.

Reported speech
1. Joan said (that) he had to find a better job.
1. Joan told Arthur (that) he had to find a better job.
2. Tina asked if the manager knew Julia often came late.
3. Rose answered that he didn’t.
4. Frank asked what he did.
5. Tom answered that he was an architect.
6. Tim thought (that) perhaps it was time to go home.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Note that the reported sentence willneed its own punctuation, so what you do is modify the punctuation in the original. Also, there may be embedded/subordinate clauses in hte original, whose punctuation you may want to keep, just changing the verb tense.

Greetings,

charliedeut

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your correction and information. It is really important to add, 'from the original'. Maybe it is a good idea to start this explanation with, 'In general, when we change ...'

L.

Last edited:

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Reported speech
1. Joan said (that) he had to find a better job. IMO, this one sounds ambiguous. It looks like Joan is the one who has to find a new job (also keep in mind that, while "Joan" is a male name in certain areas of Spain, it is a female name to most English speakers, which might lead to misunderstandings in hte answers you are likely to get.

1. Joan told Arthur (that) he had to find a better job. :tick: Make sure your students learn other verbs which fit in here ("advised, suggested, etc) instead of always using "told" all the time.
2. Tina asked if the manager knew Julia often came late. :tick: I would use "arrived" instead of "came" in the reported sentence, and would include "that" before "Julia".
3. Rose answered that he didn’t. :tick:
4. Frank asked what he did. Same case as #1: like this, it seems Frank doesn't know what he's doing. "Frank asked Tom what he did" sounds better.
5. Tom answered that he was an architect. :tick:
6. Tim thought (that) perhaps it was time to go home. :tick:

Greetings,

charliedeut

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
1. Joan said (that) he had to find a better job. IMO, this one sounds ambiguous. It looks like Joan is the one who has to find a new job (also keep in mind that, while "Joan" is a male name in certain areas of Spain, it is a female name to most English speakers, which might lead to misunderstandings in hte answers you are likely to get.
I'm considering it as a female name, but it is a good point. Since these sentences are taken from stories that I wrote or I rewrote, I should change this name at once! Moltes gràcies.

1. Joan told Arthur (that) he had to find a better job. :tick: Make sure your students learn other verbs which fit in here ("advised, suggested, etc) instead of always using "told" all the time.
Point taken! But if you don't mind for the meantime I will go step by step.

2. Tina asked if the manager knew Julia often came late. :tick: I would use "arrived" instead of "came" in the reported sentence, and would include "that" before "Julia".
Even though it sounds much better, why do I have to use 'that'? This is the original sentence, Does the manager know Julia often comes late? Tina asked. What should I tell the students in order to use 'that' in the reported speech sentence?

4. Frank asked what he did. Same case as #1: like this, it seems Frank doesn't know what he's doing. "Frank asked Tom what he did" sounds better
Without a doubt. Thanks a lot!;-)

Best,
Learning

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,
Thanks a lot for your correction and information. It is really important to add, 'from the original'. Maybe it is a good idea to start this explanation with, 'In general, when we change ...'

L.
Yes, and I'd remove "always" from the rule as well. It's not necessary and it's simply an incitement to your better students to find counter examples.

PS: Hmm, I think I meant "enticement", but "incitement" works, so I'll leave it.

Last edited:

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

Point taken! But if you don't mind for the meantime I will go step by step. Of course, I just made a suggestion. How and when to introduce variations depends on you alone: you are the one who knows your students' real level. So no, I don't mind at all :-D

Even though it sounds much better, why do I have to use 'that'? This is the original sentence, Does the manager know Julia often comes late? Tina asked. What should I tell the students in order to use 'that' in the reported speech sentence?
Yes, I didn't quite realize until you mentioned it. Maybe you should include "that" in hte original too: I remember it did help me; I myself got confused often while learning. If I saw something like "if the manager knew Julia often came late" my brain needed a little while to figure the real meaning; it concentrated on "the manager knew Julia" first of all. That's why I mentioned it.;-)

Greetings,

charliedeut

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Yes, and I'd remove "always" from the rule as well. It's not necessary and it's simply an incitement to your better students to find counter examples.

Hi Raymott,
Thank you very much for your reply. How right you are!

Best,
Learning

Last edited:

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Of course, I just made a suggestion. How and when to introduce variations depends on you alone: you are the one who knows your students' real level. So no, I don't mind at all :-D
Thank you!;-)

Yes, I didn't quite realize until you mentioned it. Maybe you should include "that" in hte original too: I remember it did help me; I myself got confused often while learning. If I saw something like "if the manager knew Julia often came late" my brain needed a little while to figure the real meaning; it concentrated on "the manager knew Julia" first of all. That's why I mentioned it.
icon_wink.gif
It certainly is a good point. I will do that too. Thanks once again.

Best,
Learning

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.