Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi!
- My most famous relative of all, the one who really left his mark on America, was Rob Sussel, my great-grandfather.
Is the bold an appositive clause, please?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
No, as it's not a noun phrase. But it does have the same general function.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
However, "my great-grandfather" is.

hoangkha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
- My most famous relative of all, the one who really left his mark on America, was Rob Sussel, my great-grandfather.
Another sentence.
- He is a strict but kind-hearted father, one whom the children respect but are afraid of.
What are THE ONE AND ONE in the above sentences used for while the sentences are still meaningful without them, please?

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, I see "the one who really left his mark on America" as a noun phrase. I may be wrong about whether to call it a phrase compared to a clause or something else, but it functions as an appositive, as does "my great-grandfather."

Mohammadhelmi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Another sentence.
- He is a strict but kind-hearted father, one whom the children respect but are afraid of.
What are THE ONE AND ONE in the above sentences used for while the sentences are still meaningful without them, please?
the one who
The first sentence is called a noun phrase: , the one who really left his mark on America , was Rob Sussel
In the second sentence, I see it isn't necessary to say the word one:

He is a strict but kind-hearted father, whom the children respect but are afraid of.
It is called non-defining relative clause

My most famous relative of all, my great-grandfather, the one who really left his mark on America, was Rob Sussel.
my great-grandfather is called a positive clause.
the one who really left his mark on America, it adds extra information my great-grandfather.

Status
Not open for further replies.