Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This side of the Atlantic, I've never heard "sweety" for a piece of candy. I like it, but I haven't heard it.

Back in The Day when I used to work for the Official International Queen Fan Club (the band, not Her Majesty) on this side of the Atlantic, I happened to be visiting the club's main office in London one afternoon. Jacky, the woman who ran the operation, had her two-year-old toddling around the office. The child had a small bag of candy in her fist and I remember Jacky asking her "Aren't you going to share your sweets with Ouisch?" And this little girl with the most adorable British accent (why are accents that much cuter when they emanate from the mouths of babes?) shyly approached me and asked "Do you want a sweetie?" :lilangel: Anyway, that was when I learned that what we Americans generically refer to as "candy" the British call "sweets." :)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We only use candy for three things:

cough candy (a slightly medicated sucky confection),

candy floss (AE cotton candy) and

candy-striped material.

Rover

What you guys (sorry...you lot) call "cough candy" we in the US call "cough drops". But British cough medicine reminds me of one of my many trips to the UK....what with the re-circulated air on the plane and the (sometimes) colder climate in England it seemed like either I or Mr. Ouisch would always develop a severe cold that worked its way into the lungs. The result was that one or both of us would end up with a very non-dry cough - that is, there was icky stuff in the bronchial tubes and elsewhere that was hacked up. I still have a bottle of cough syrup that we purchased in England called Veno's Expectorant....it helped us enormously, but why I saved it was the notation on the label that said "For Chesty Coughs." Mr. Ouisch and I laughed and laughed...he said that "Chesty Coughs" sounded like the name of an exotic dancer. ;-)

Last edited:

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Back in The Day when I used to work for the Official International Queen Fan Club...
Was this shortly after the dinosaurs roamed the Earth, but before the wheel had been invented? ;-) :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.