Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
1) How do you pronounce I'm, I'll, you're, we're, they're? Sometimes I hear that you're is pronounced as your. Instead of [aɪm] I hear [am].

2) I often hear that the word "fantasy" is pronounced as [fænəsɪ], that is without [t].
What other words can be pronounced this way?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1) How do you pronounce I'm, I'll, you're, we're, they're? Sometimes I hear that you're is pronounced as your. Instead of [aɪm] I hear [am].

2) I often hear that the word "fantasy" is pronounced as [fænəsɪ], that is without [t].

1 You're right about /aɪm/. In some variants it comes nearer to [a:m] - often written, in what is called 'eye' dialect', as "Ah'm". 'You're' is mostly /jɔ:/ (as is 'your'), but some variants pronounce the first part like a 'you' standing alone; they also (in Scottish English) pronounce the 'r' as [r] (perhaps with a slight trill): [ju:r] (this follows a general tendency in Scotland to preserve vowels followed by r: ['stəʊri], for example (for 'story')). Some variants also have /jʊə/. 'We're' is /wɪə/, and 'they're' is sometimes /ðeə/ and sometimes /ðeɪə/ (depending on how careful the speech is).

When I say 'is' I mean 'that is the version that will be widely understood by most British Eng Speakers, that is pronounced that way by a significant number of them in formal contexts, and that is expected in all ELT exams'. 'Standard British English' is a theoretical construct, to which most speech approximates - especially in formal contexts - and from which some speech differs wildly. Melvyn Bragg, presenter of The Adventures of English - credited as the author, but [a heɪ ma dyts] as they say in Scotland ;-) - reports that when he was at school in Yorkshire he would say to his friends [az 'gaŋən jam] when to a teacher he would say 'I'm going home'.)​

2 The /t/ is often dropped in less careful speech, more commonly - I think - in Am Eng.

b

thatone

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy

I'm - /aɪm/
I'll - /aɪ(ə)l/
you're = your - /jɚ, ju(ə)r, jo˞/
we're - /wɪ(ə)r, wɚ, wi(ə)r/
they're = there = their - /ðe(ə)r, (unstressed) ðɚ /

In some dialects, as BobK said, the diphthong /aɪ/ becomes /aː/.

When the "t" is after an "n" and before /ə/ or /ɚ/.

Example internet /ɪnɚnɛt/, dentist /dɛnəst/, interview /ɪnɚvju:/, international /ɪnɚnæʃnəl/.

It's common in AmE in everyday speech (I wouldn't classify it as uncareful), but the "t" may be preserved in more formal contexts.

TheNewOne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
BobK
thatone

Thank you for answering!

Example internet /ɪnɚnɛt/, dentist /dɛnəst/, interview /ɪnɚvju:/, international /ɪnɚnæʃnəl/.
Internet and international sound weird to me because of nɚnɛ ;-)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
BobK
thatone

Thank you for answering!

Internet and international sound weird to me because of nɚnɛ ;-)

- to me too, but it happens a lot - even in Br English (which tends to preserve the /t/ when pronouncin 'nt' more than American Eng does.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.