Is "traveled in ...foreign commerce" grammatical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sounds wrong to me.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Context:
Based on its evidence, Craig McClusky, of the U.S. Marshals Service, said in the complaint that there is "probable cause" to believe that Dorner has "moved and traveled in interstate and foreign commerce from California to Mexico with the intent to avoid prosecution."

More:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/02/12/christopher-dorner-ex-cop-los-angeles-mexico/1912553/
I reviewed part of the US Code and found that the term is used in the Code. As to why it was used in this regard is beyond me. The part about "commerce" is the most confusing as there was no commerce (buying, selling, or trading going on here). It might be a catch-all phrase used by the government in such cases. Also, I can't see how "interstate" applies here as the person was thought to have traveled from one country to another. Interstate means between states.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I read the article and wondered what sort of fish the state had that could search cars and cause him to run away from them - "He tried to drive that truck away [...] and ran from the truck after encountering state fish and wildlife officers searching cars leaving the mountain."

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I read the article and wondered what sort of fish the state had that could search cars and cause him to run away from them - "He tried to drive that truck away [...] and ran from the truck after encountering state fish and wildlife officers searching cars leaving the mountain."
Yes, it's a bit confusing. A state Fish and Wildlife officer (Fish and Wildlife being a title) in California is a sworn peace officer. Such officers have both the right and the obligation to enforce state and federal laws. There are many types of peace officers in the US. For example, a park ranger in a federal park (Yellowstone Park, for example) can, and will, act as a police officer if the occasion arises.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Travel(l)ed on foreign business/commerce would work better for me.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think "travel" works with "commerce" at all. The idea is that he engaged in interstate commerce, which is a trigger that turns criminal activity into a federal case. A common criminal within one state's line is not typically a federal police matter. When you cross state lines, it becomes such.

Status
Not open for further replies.