Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,

In the cartoon series Gulliver's Travels there was a character who was very pessimistic about everything. Is there any adjective to describe such people?!

Thanks a lot.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi all,

In the cartoon series Gulliver's Travels there was a character who was very pessimistic about everything. Is there any adjective to describe such people?!

Thanks a lot.

Depends on the context.

Pessimist, defeatist, complainer, party pooper, killjoy, grouch, whiner, downer... etc.

Or as I prefer to call it, a realist.

Side note

I like this saying: "A pessimist is an optimist with experience" (don't know the source)

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks a lot!

I've also heard,
'A pessimist is a married optimist!', and,
'An optimist is a person who thinks a fly is looking for a way to get out of the room!'

Cheers!

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
One more...

A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are. (Chauncey Depew)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
An optimist is someone who posts a response in this forum and believes that the OP will not spend hours trawling the net to 'prove' the response wrong.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,

Have I ever done so?! If so I really do apologise. It must've been a misunderstanding, because I've always been thankful to the dear posters.

Thank you again, and hope I wasn't addressed in that post. :-(

Cheers!

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Depends on the context.

Pessimist, defeatist, complainer, party pooper, killjoy, grouch, whiner, downer... etc.

Side note

I like this saying: "A pessimist is an optimist with experience" (don't know the source)

Thanks. Regarding the word "Whine", is it the case that "Whinge" is more common in BrE?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks. Regarding the word "Whine", is it the case that "Whinge" is more common in BrE?

'Whinge' and 'whine' mean the same to me. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between a person who was whingeing and one who was whining.

In fact they are apparently derived from the same word: "From Middle English whinsen, from Old English hwinsian (“to whine”)"
whinge - Wiktionary

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
'Whinge' and 'whine' mean the same to me. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between a person who was whingeing and one who was whining.

In fact they are apparently derived from the same word: "From Middle English whinsen, from Old English hwinsian (“to whine”)"
whinge - Wiktionary

So many thanks. Is that spelling the same in AmE? (I mean keeping tha final e in whinge while adding -ing. Because once I heard this is a preference in BrE.)

Ta!

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So many thanks. Is that spelling the same in AmE? (I mean keeping tha final e in whinge while adding -ing. Because once I heard this is a preference in BrE.)

Ta!

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) Whenever you write for Americans, do please spell it

as "whining." I think that most Americans would consider the

other spelling as strange and might not even recognize the word

until they considered the context.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Depends on the context.

Side note

There is another expression that I like "A paranoiac is someone who knows what's really going on".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

whinge - Wiktionary
I remember hearing, in the 70s, this little joke from my uncle in Australia: "How do you tell that it's a plane full of Poms that just landed?" "When they turn off the engines, it doesn't stop whining."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I remember hearing, in the 70s, this little joke from my uncle in Australia: "How do you tell that it's a plane full of Poms that just landed?" "When they turn off the engines, it doesn't stop whining."
:lol:
Of course, I'd never tell a joke like that!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Have I ever done so?! If so I really do apologise. It must've been a misunderstanding, because I've always been thankful to the dear posters.
My not overly serious comment was not directed at you, Mehrgan.

Status
Not open for further replies.