Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does "long into" mean? Customers' expectation for the business to exist still in the future? It doesn't come to mind easily.
Also, why is "to" (long into) missing? It seems like an ungrammatical sentence. I might be mistaken.

ex)Ostentation can be a credible boast of quality. A good example of this is the peacock's tail. ....The peacock's tail has many and varied economic equivalents in the business world. Banks and insurance companies have head offices that are extremely magnificent beyond the needs of their dealings. The showy offices signal that the company is stable, distinguishing it from shakier companies that cannot afford them. As a signal that they expect to still be there for you long into the future, retailers locate themselves in high-rent districts like New York's Fifth Avenue when a less expensive address would serve.

Last edited:

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
As a signal that they expect to still be there for you long into the future, retailers locate themselves in high-rent districts like New York's Fifth Avenue when a less expensive address would serve.

Some retailers are happy to pay high rents in up-market locations to show that they have the resources and commitment to maintain a service to their customers for a long time into the future.

not a teacher

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
As a signal that they expect to still be there for you long into the future, retailers locate themselves in high-rent districts like New York's Fifth Avenue when a less expensive address would serve.

Some retailers are happy to pay high rents in up-market locations to show that they have the resources and commitment to maintain a service to their customers for a long time into the future.

not a teacher

:up::up::up: :oops::oops: I was silly! I took it as a verb, but it was just an adjective, confusing with "for you", That's why I always need native speakers' help.

Status
Not open for further replies.