Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In the corner or on the corner, which one is right?

It seems like people say on the corner if it’s the corner of a surface, e.g. on the corner of the street, or on the corner of a table. In the case of a three dimension space, in the corner of the room and in the corner of the letter are preferred.

That's the impression I had when I was reading the relative entry in the OED.

Can I take it as a rule of thumb and follow it?

Many thanks

Richard

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I
It seems like people say on the corner if it’s the corner of a surface, e.g. on the corner of the street, or on the corner of a table. In the case of a three dimension space, in the corner of the room and in the corner of the letter are preferred.

That's the impression I had when I was reading the relative entry in the OED.
I wouldn't rely on it. You will hear other things.

I for example say 'at the corner of the street' at times; and probably 'in the corner of a (2-dimensional) field' if I am actually in the field, though 'at the corner' if I am outside. I am honestly not sure, but I think I'd say 'in the corner of the table'.

I do not understand your view of a letter as a 3-dimensional space, I'm afraid.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

I for example say 'at the corner of the street' at times; and probably 'in the corner of a (2-dimensional) field' if I am actually in the field, though 'at the corner' if I am outside. I am honestly not sure, but I think I'd say 'in the corner of the table'.

I'm not sure I understand your "in the corner of the table" are you talking about a table such as a dining table/coffee table?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm not sure I understand your "in the corner of the table" are you talking about a table such as a dining table/coffee table?
Yes.

As I wrote my last post, two of us native speakers were looking at a coffee cup ** the corner of the dining table. We were discussing how we would describe the position of the cup. My colleague was fairly sure that she would say 'on', but she thought she had heard 'at', and she felt that 'in' might be just about possible. I thought, at the time, that I would go for 'in', while accepting 'on' and, less certainly 'at'.

An hour later, I am not sure.

ps I like your new fresh-air look, but I shall miss the so-appropriate guru.

Last edited:

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

As a matter of fact, I don't understand it either.

I saw all those examples in my beloved OED and thought the one who wrote them must have put just these examples here with a purpose. I tried to decifer the code included in them. The one with letter in it is the only exeption that doesn't fit my theory, so I felt obliged to assume the writer treated a letter as three-demensional.

Having read you posts here, I'd say I thought too much then.:lol:

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
This morning I was standing at the corner of the table. I put my coffee cup on the corner of the table and finished the letter I was writing by making a little drawing in the corner. I took the letter to the post office on the corner of my street and on the way home I patted a dog standing at the corner of the building next door.

I don't know if that helps.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This morning I was standing at the corner of the table. I put my coffee cup on the corner of the table and finished the letter I was writing by making a little drawing in the corner. I took the letter to the post office on the corner of my street and on the way home I patted a dog standing at the corner of the building next door.

I don't know if that helps.
Yes, it does. I think I'd better withdraw my, " I think I'd say 'in the corner of the table'. Sorry, cubezero.

Status
Not open for further replies.