Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
For an unmarried lady in her early thirties can we say mam in a formal situation Or Ms?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In BrE, we use Miss, which indicates that she is unmarried, or Ms, which just indicates that she is a woman and ignores her marital status. I use the latter. When addressing a woman whose name I don't know, I would use madam. It's a sensitive area and other may handle things differently.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
For an unmarried lady in her early thirties can we say mam in a formal situation Or Ms?
Unless I were a shop assistant being rather formal, or working in a hotel, I would never use 'Madam' or 'Miss' to any woman. I'd use their name, if I knew it, or nothing at all, if I didn't know it,

We use ma'am (to rhyme with jam) for female officers in the police and armed services, and for the queen.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, it would be normal for a woman to be addressed as "ma'am" once she is past the "miss" stage of life.

LulaPace

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
I personally have never heard anyone say 'mam' or 'ma'am' in the UK. And when I found myself teaching a conversation to my Chinese students, in which somebody said, "ma'am", I admit I was a bit baffled :)

The 'Miss' and 'Ms' thing is also a tricky area. Personally I prefer 'Ms', from a feminist point of view. But I know many people who hate the term 'Ms' and like to be called 'Miss'. What kind of formal situation are you referring to? It really depends what the situation is, I think.

Lula

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I personally have never heard anyone say 'mam' or 'ma'am' in the UK.

Neither had I, but I do hear it every day here in the Philippines.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you say if you are walking down the street and the lady in front of you drops something from her pocket and she doesn't notice?

"Excuse me" or "Excuse me, ma'am" would be what I would expect. If you are especially trying to get the attention of someone whose name you don't know, then a "ma'am" or "sir" would be employed. It is better than a "hey!"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What do you say if you are walking down the street and the lady in front of you drops something from her pocket and she doesn't notice?
I'd just say, "Excuse me".

Unless it were a bundle of banknotes, in which case I might keep my mouth shut. ;-)

Ahmed_harbi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Thank you all it is good to get different points of view.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't use a salutation of any kind to someone whose name I didn't know. I work part-time in a shop and I would never call a customer "Madam". It sounds very old-fashioned, far too formal and it suggests a woman of a certain age.

If someone dropped something in the street, I would shout "Excuse me" or maybe even "Scuse me love!" Most women don't mind being called "love" in the UK, as long as the person saying it is also female. Some don't mind men using it but I wouldn't recommend using it to someone you don't know.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you'll hear "excuse me, ma'am" and "excuse me, sir" much more often in the US.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think you'll hear "excuse me, ma'am" and "excuse me, sir" much more often in the US.
It's one of the very few things about AmE that jars with me.

It's odd, because I accept with no problem the Italian, French, Czech, etc equivalent of 'sir'when addressed by strangers who speak those languages, and I use the polite form of address when I speak to strangers in those languages.

It's possibly because, in BrE, 'sir' and 'miss/madam/ma'am' are normally used only by an inferior/junior to a superior/senior, and then only in a limited range of situations. I use those words to nobody, and do not want them used to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree entirely about it bothering me in the UK, but not in Europe. I am quite happy to be referred to as "madameoiselle/madame" in France, or "signorina/signora" in Italy but, as 5jj said, everyone refers to each other by those kinds of terms from as early as they learn to speak. Mind you, I much preferred being referred to as "guapa/chica" when I lived in Spain! ;-)

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Native English speakers may find it interesting to learn that the issue of Madam, Sir, Mr, Ms etc. is of extreme importance and is also a very sensitive matter in Polish (as I suppose it is in most continental European languages). Same thing with the use of "uncle", "aunt" as opposed to just first name. Dropping "uncle" or "Mr" may in some situations be considered as downright rude or forward. People will sometimes use "Mr/Ms" even if they have known each other for many years, as they probably enjoy both "giving" and "receiving" a kind of deference which "Mr/Ms" convey. The ceremony is stood upon with particular scrupulosity among "working class" since (to my mind) its members want to safeguard the not so long ago gained social status of equal citizenship. There is a whole culture or code of behaviour built around "Mr/Ms" issue to determine for example who is supposed to suggest using first name terms between two people. Typically even when such a suggestion is made, people will still occasionally address each other as "Mr/Ms" because they find the trasition embarassing and/or difficult. Learners of English who come from "Mr/Ms" environment in their native languages may be shocked to see how these forms are treated in English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Native English speakers may find it interesting to learn that the issue of Madam, Sir, Mr, Ms etc. is of extreme importance and is also a very sensitive matter in Polish (as I suppose it is in most continental European languages). Same thing with the use of "uncle", "aunt" as opposed to just first name. Dropping "uncle" or "Mr" may in some situations be considered as downright rude or forward. People will sometimes use "Mr/Ms" even if they have known each other for many years, as they probably enjoy both "giving" and "receiving" a kind of deference which "Mr/Ms" convey. The ceremony is stood upon with particular scrupulosity among "working class" since (to my mind) its members want to safeguard the not so long ago gained social status of equal citizenship. There is a whole culture or code of behaviour built around "Mr/Ms" issue to determine for example who is supposed to suggest using first name terms between two people. Typically even when such a suggestion is made, people will still occasionally address each other as "Mr/Ms" because they find the trasition embarassing and/or difficult. Learners of English who come from "Mr/Ms" environment in their native languages may be shocked to see how these forms are treated in English.

That is interesting indeed, especially regarding aunts and uncles. I know a few people who refer to relatives as "Auntie Jean" or "Uncle Bob" when talking to a third party, but they wouldn't use those terms to the people's faces. They would just call them Jean and Bob.

I have to say, though, that the Polish way sounds like a lot of hard work! ;-)

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's one of the very few things about AmE that jars with me.

It's odd, because I accept with no problem the Italian, French, Czech, etc equivalent of 'sir'when addressed by strangers who speak those languages, and I use the polite form of address when I speak to strangers in those languages.

It's possibly because, in BrE, 'sir' and 'miss/madam/ma'am' are normally used only by an inferior/junior to a superior/senior, and then only in a limited range of situations. I use those words to nobody, and do not want them used to me.

I think Americans understand both uses. That is, as a sign of general respect to strangers and as a form of subservience.

If I call the CEO of my company "sir" that is one form. But it doesn't mean I feel the same way if I say it to someone on the street.

I don't know if more formality is kept in Britain in terms of using first names. Americans tend to adopt first name informality pretty much immediately in most situations. It seems a bit of a contradiction that we retain formality with "sir" and "madam" in addressing strangers, but then abandon it quickly.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

"Excuse me" or "Excuse me, ma'am" would be what I would expect. If you are especially trying to get the attention of someone whose name you don't know, then a "ma'am" or "sir" would be employed. It is better than a "hey!"

I would use Madam there, though many wouldn't.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Having spent a lot of time in the USA in recent years, calling women ma'am (pronounced mam) comes naturally to me and I use it here all the time. Nobody ever bats an eyelid or gives me funny looks. A lot of women seem quite pleased to hear it—they know it's commonly used in the States and elsewhere.

Rover

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.