Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Is there any difference between "to hit one's head on smth" or "to hit one's head against smth"?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please take the trouble to write something and somebody in full in future posts.

Rover

Marina Gaidar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Please take the trouble to write something and somebody in full in future posts.

Rover

Does it make any difference? Or I've insulted you in some way by using smth instead of something?

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Does it make any difference? Or I've insulted you in some way by using smth instead of something?

No it doesn't. But this is a English learning forum, and a proper example must be set when we have members that know very little about English.

Marina Gaidar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No it doesn't. But this is a English learning forum, and a proper example must be set when we have members that know very little about English.

Ok, I have no problems with that. It just sounded as if I had insulted somebody, because in my country expression "take the trouble" sounds somewhat harsh.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ok, I have no problems with that. It just sounded as if I had insulted somebody, because in my country expression "take the trouble" sounds somewhat harsh.

It's not harsh in English on here. It's the same as "Please take the time to ..."

We do see "smb" and "smth" and various versions of those on here quite regularly, mainly because dictionary definitions use abbreviations and contractions of those words. As HanibalII said, though, we have to be careful on the forum to use full English words as true beginners can become very confused if they see non-standard words but don't realise they are not non-standard. That is one of the reasons that we ask members not to use "text-speak" or "chatlish" (ie, don't use "u", "thx" etc).

Marina Gaidar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It's not harsh in English on here. It's the same as "Please take the time to ..."

We do see "smb" and "smth" and various versions of those on here quite regularly, mainly because dictionary definitions use abbreviations and contractions of those words. As HanibalII said, though, we have to be careful on the forum to use full English words as true beginners can become very confused if they see non-standard words but don't realise they are not non-standard. That is one of the reasons that we ask members not to use "text-speak" or "chatlish" (ie, don't use "u", "thx" etc).

Ok, it is not difficult at all to type the full forms for me. I will certainly do this next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.