Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Hi every one, I am not sure if this sentence has any grammatical error. please help out thank a lot:)

It is believed by some that a culture is reflected by its language, on which government should allocate some of its revenue for the protection.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi [strike]every one[/strike] everyone. I am not sure if this sentence has any grammatical errors. Please help out. Thanks a lot. :)

It is believed by some that a culture is reflected [strike]by[/strike] in its language, [strike]on[/strike] to which a government should allocate some of its revenue for the protection.

With the slight amendments I've made, it's grammatically OK but it's very wordy and a little unnatural. I'm not even sure I have the meaning correct. I think it means:

"Some people believe that a culture is reflected in its language. The government should allocate some of its revenue to the protection of that language".

Is that what you meant?

Note that we allocate funds "to" something, not "of" something.

wzncx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
With the slight amendments I've made, it's grammatically OK but it's very wordy and a little unnatural. I'm not even sure I have the meaning correct. I think it means:

"Some people believe that a culture is reflected in its language. The government should allocate some of its revenue to the protection of that language".

Is that what you meant?

Note that we allocate funds "to" something, not "of" something.

Yes that is what I mean , and I managed to put these two sentences in one, and according to your comment that the sentence I wrote did not make much sense, could u please help me out here. Great appreciated

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes that is what I mean , and I managed to put these two sentences in one, and according to your comment that the sentence I wrote did not make much sense, could u please help me out here. Great appreciated

Do you mean that you want to put the whole thing back into one sentence?

wzncx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
yes, great appreciated if u can help me here :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, it would be greatly appreciated if you can help me here. :)

Please note the corrections that I have had to make to your post #1 and post #4. Remember that you must start every sentence with a capital letter, end every sentence with a single punctuation mark and use full English words ("you", not "u").

Some people believe that a culture is reflected in its language, to the protection of which a government should allocate some of its revenue.

Last edited:

wzncx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Please note the corrections that I have had to make to your post #1 and post #3. Remember that you must start every sentence with a capital letter, end every sentence with a single punctuation mark and use full English words ("you", not "u").

Some people believe that a culture is reflected in its language, to the protection of which a government should allocate some of its revenue.

Thank you very much for your help , and thanks for the advise as well. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much for your help, and thanks for the advice as well. :)

You're welcome though in future, please just click the Like button on a helpful post, instead of sending a Thank You post.

Don't put a space before a comma and note that "advice" is the noun you were looking for. Advise is a verb.

Status
Not open for further replies.