Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What would be the difference between synonymic and synonymous? If there isn't any,is it synonymic to/with?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What would be the difference between synonymic and synonymous? If there isn't any,is it synonymic to/with?
I have never used "synonymic". It appears to mean the same as "synonymous" but to be much less widely used.

Last edited:

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I have never used "synonymic",it appears to mean the same as "synonymous" but to be much less widely used.

So it's synonimic with,correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So it's synonimic with,correct?
No examples of sentences containing the word are to be found in the BNC, and only one each (as an attributive adjective) in COCA and Webster's 3. The five citations in the OED contain the word used only as an attributive adjective.

If you are going to use the word (which the OED suggests is not synonymous with 'synonymous'), people are more likely to think that the word itself is a mistake than to worry about the preposition you use.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No examples of sentences containing the word are to be found in the BNC, and only one each (as an attributive adjective) in COCA and Webster's 3. The five citations in the OED contain the word used only as an attributive adjective.

If you are going to use the word (which the OED suggests is not synonymous with 'synonymous'), people are more likely to think that the word itself is a mistake than to worry about the preposition you use.

No. I'm not going to use it. That's what I've been hearing from my Ukrainian teacher. So it got me wondering if it's correct.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
No. I'm not going to use it. That's what I've been hearing from my Ukrainian teacher. So it got me wondering if it's correct.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I had never heard it before either. If I were you, I would keep using "synonymous" in class with the teacher. If the teacher pulls you up on it and asks why you're not using "synonymic" as he/she does, you can always tell him/her about this website and the fact that plenty of native speakers have told you that it's not used in everyday language and was completely new to several of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.