Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
hi.. i am supposed to write a letter to a ex-senior official in my organization who used to work with us 6-8 years back asking him to suggest or give references of some people who could be approached for an event as judges.. i am approaching the official for the first time as my senior has asked me to contact him... i am stuck up as to how to begin the letter... should it be introducing myself
Dear Sir,
this abc, secretary of the organization. i got your reference from my senior xyz.....

can i begin the letter in this manner?? .. if not then what is the most appropiate beginning line??

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
hi.(.)[STRIKE] i[/STRIKE] I am supposed to write a letter to a ex-senior official in my organization who used to work with us 6-8 years back asking him to suggest or give references of some people who could be approached for an event as judges.(.) [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] I am approaching the official for the first time, as my senior has asked me to contact him.(..)I i am stuck [STRIKE]up[/STRIKE] as to how to begin the letter.(..) [STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] Should it be introducing myself
Welcome to the forum, jainaa. :hi: Please follow the standard practice of beginning sentences and writing the first person pronoun 'I' with a capital letter and ending sentences with a single full stop (period) or question mark.
Dear Sir, It would be better to address him by name.
this abc, secretary of the organization. i got your reference from my senior xyz.....
Your name has been given to me by Peter Postule, with whom you worked five years ago.
He wants to know how you know him more than who you are. He can find that out by looking at the information below your signature:

Peter Postule
Company Secretary

[STRIKE]c[/STRIKE] Can i I begin the letter in this manner?? (..) [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] If not, then what is the most appropiate beginning line?[STRIKE]?[/STRIKE]

jainaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Welcome to the forum, jainaa. :hi: Please follow the standard practice of beginning sentences and writing the first person pronoun 'I' with a capital letter and ending sentences with a single full stop (period) or question mark.

Thank you for Help :)
i started the letter this way
[FONT=&quot]Dear Rtn.Anirudh,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It gives me pleasure to get a chance to get in touch with you.This is in relation to the management based event that we are going to conduct this year at Rotaract Club...

I hope it is fine in the context I told you before...
[/FONT]

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[STRIKE]i [/STRIKE] I started the letter this way...[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
I am a little puzzled about why you should ask for advice, and then ignore every word of it. Still, it's your letter; do exactly what you want.

jainaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am sorry for repeating the mistake. I wasnt following the standard rules for the whole post.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for help. :)
I started the letter this way:

Dear Rtn.Anirudh,

It gives me pleasure to get [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the chance to get in touch with you. [STRIKE]This is[/STRIKE]I am writing/emailing in relation to the management-based event that we are going to conduct this year at Rotaract Club.

I hope it is fine in the context I told you before.

See above.

Please remember to capitalise the word "I".
One full stop is sufficient at the end of a sentence.
There was no need for a capital letter at the beginning of the word "help".

Status
Not open for further replies.