Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The rules of pronunciation are usually vague with lots of exceptions. I think when we have tt (double t) between vowels the tt is pronounced /d/ however I don't know whether the rule is only for one syllable words or that could be general.
exs: bottle, written, cattle, etc.
Thanks,

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The rules of pronunciation are usually vague with lots of exceptions. I think when we have tt (double t) between vowels the tt is pronounced /d/ however I don't know whether the rule is only for one syllable words or that could be general.
Thanks,

I wouldn't pronounce the "tt" as "d" in any of your examples.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This will vary regionally. I would agree that my "cattle" and "bottle" sound like d's. But not my "written."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks,

The "tt" doesn't come between vowels in "bottle" or "cattle". It comes after a vowel and before a consonant. In "written", it does come between vowels.

As Soothing Dave said, it's regional. I agree with bhaisahab that in BrE all your examples would have the "t" sound in the middle. In AmE, "bottle" and "cattle" can sound like "boddle" and "caddle".

J

JohnAnderson

The "tt" doesn't come between vowels in "bottle" or "cattle". It comes after a vowel and before a consonant.

It comes before a consonant letter, but at least in some dialects it comes before a vowel sound.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
So there is no such rule in English. But if you know any other similar rule about 'tt' please mention (although that wouldn't be a hundred percent correct)

Happy New Year for Everyone! I really want to share our happiness!

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
The one scenario you need to worry about: VttVn, where the first V is stressed. In this case, t is nasally released: for instance, Man'hattan, Har'mattan 'rotten, 'smitten, 'button, 'cotton, 'glutton, 'Trenton (NJ), 'Barton, 'Scranton (PA)

'Fullerton (CA): t can be flapped or unaspirated and orally released.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.