[Grammar] Does this sentence makes any sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakashiprince

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Does this sentence make any sense?
"...Also, when I suggested to my parents about nursing as a backup career; they were hesitant and they mentioned that nurse are usually for women and for homosexual and they told me to take another profession. I felt discourage; and I realized that the pressure of becoming a dentist is to provide for my family along with maintaining my masculinity in order to fit into society "

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Does this sentence make any sense?
"[STRIKE]...[/STRIKE]Also, when I suggested to my parents about nursing as a backup career, they were hesitant and they mentioned that nursing was usually for women and [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] homosexuals and they told me to [STRIKE]take[/STRIKE] choose another profession. I felt discouraged, and I realized [that the pressure of becoming a dentist is to provide for my family along with maintaining my masculinity in order to fit into society] "
The first past makes sense, with those corrections. Your parents' belief that nursing is for homosexuals is rather strange (unless it's actually true in Vietnam; I'm sure it's not in Canada).
The last part in square brackets doesn't make any sense. It's a non sequitur. You weren't talking about dentists.

Kakashiprince

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
sorry when i say homosexuals...i mean ...if a man goes into nursing people assuming he is gay.

For the second sentence, i meant to say.... dentist is my primary career since it is a stable job that can help my family as well as securing my masculinity in order to fit into society.

"Also, when I suggested to my parents about nursing as a backup career, they were hesitant and they mentioned that nursing was usually for women and if I was to go into this profession people will assume that I am gay. I felt discouraged because in our society "pink-colour" jobs are considered weak and downgrading in a male dominant world; however, male nurses are paid more because they are in demand in hospitals."

Does it make sense now?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
sorry when i say homosexuals...i mean ...if a man goes into nursing people assuming he is gay.
I know that. That's why I asked whether it was true that in Vietnam, male nurses are usually homosexuals. My point is that it's a strange assumption, and I was wondering where it was coming from.

For the second sentence, i meant to say.... dentist is my primary career since it is a stable job that can help my family as well as securing my masculinity in order to fit into society.
Some dentists are homosexual as well, so dentistry is not a fail safe choice if this is really one of the main determinants of your job choice. Now that you're in Canada, have you considered becoming a lumberjack?
Try not to use strings of dots ( .....). They aren't a proper punctuation n English unless you use them properly (See ellipsis).
Also, capitalise 'i'

Kakashiprince

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Sorry, I didn't want to sound "homophobic", I meant to say:

""Also, when I suggested to my parents about nursing as a backup career, they were hesitant and they mentioned that nursing was usually for women and if I was to go into this profession people will assume that I am gay. I felt discouraged because in our society "pink-colour" jobs are considered weak and downgrading in a male dominant world; however, male nurses are paid more because they are in demand in hospitals."

Does it make sense now?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sorry, I didn't want to sound "homophobic", I meant to say:

"Also, when I suggested to my parents about nursing as a backup career, they were hesitant and they mentioned that nursing was usually for women and if I was to go into this profession people will assume that I am gay. I felt discouraged because in our society "pink-colour" jobs are considered weak and downgrading in a male dominant world. However, male nurses are paid more because they are in demand in hospitals."

Does it make sense now?
That's a much better sentence, in all respects.

Status
Not open for further replies.