Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,

Is the form of "ride in a car etc." used in BrE as well? Is "travel in" the only other possible form? Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi all,

Is the form of "ride in a car etc." used in BrE as well? Is "travel in" the only other possible form? Thanks.

It is heard but I would say that it's still considered more AmE. We would generally just say "go in a car".

How will you get to the hotel?
I'll go in the car with my sister. (Or "I'll go by car" or "I'll go in my sister's car".)

Where are you going?
I'm just going out for a drive. (I wouldn't say "I'm just going for a ride in the car).

My brother was in the car with his wife when they had the accident. (Not "My brother was riding in the car with his wife.)

Mum, can we go in the car? I'm too tired to walk.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It is heard but I would say that it's still considered more AmE. We would generally just say "go in a car".

How will you get to the hotel?
I'll go in the car with my sister. (Or "I'll go by car" or "I'll go in my sister's car".)

Where are you going?
I'm just going out for a drive. (I wouldn't say "I'm just going for a ride in the car).

My brother was in the car with his wife when they had the accident. (Not "My brother was riding in the car with his wife.)

Mum, can we go in the car? I'm too tired to walk.

So many thanks dear emsr2d2. Is there any difference when the car's our own and when we just want to mention that it's a car (and not a bus, for example - while the car's not ours)? How about by/with car? Yours.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So many thanks dear emsr2d2. Is there any difference when the car's our own and when we just want to mention that it's a car (and not a bus, for example - while the car's not ours)? How about by/with car? Yours.

If you said "I'm going to travel by car" then it would not be clear (or important!) whether it's your car or someone else's.

If it's important:

Q - How are you getting to the funeral?
A - I'm going in my sister's car. (This would suggest that your sister will probably be driving and you will be a passenger.)
or
A - I'm taking my sister's car. (This would suggest that you will be driving your sister's car, but there is no clue as to whether your sister would be in the car or not).
or
A - I'm taking my car. (This suggests that you will personally be driving your own car.)

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
If you said "I'm going to travel by car" then it would not be clear (or important!) whether it's your car or someone else's.

If it's important:

Q - How are you getting to the funeral?
A - I'm going in my sister's car. (This would suggest that your sister will probably be driving and you will be a passenger.)
or
A - I'm taking my sister's car. (This would suggest that you will be driving your sister's car, but there is no clue as to whether your sister would be in the car or not).
or
A - I'm taking my car. (This suggests that you will personally be driving your own car.)

Such perfect an answer! Ta! :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You'll hear it as a noun in BrE- hitch a ride, get a ride, etc.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You'll hear it as a noun in BrE- hitch a ride, get a ride, etc.

True, although I still see "ride" as an AmE import. For my part, I would say "hitch a lift", "get a lift", "thumb a lift" etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.