Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Both, but they have different meanings; one is relative, the other absolute.

If something is measured at 70% of something else, and increases by 10%, it goes up to 77% - an increase of 10% relative to the original reading.

If something is measured at 70% of something else, and increases 10% it goes up to 80% - an absolute increase of 10%.

Public speakers often confuse these, some would say deliberately. I take a more generous view: I think they just don't understand the difference, and say whichever sounds best.

b

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Both, but they have different meanings; one is relative, the other absolute.

If something is measured at 70% of something else, and increases by 10%, it goes up to 77% - an increase of 10% relative to the original reading.

If something is measured at 70% of something else, and increases 10% it goes up to 80% - an absolute increase of 10%.

Public speakers often confuse these, some would say deliberately. I take a more generous view: I think they just don't understand the difference, and say whichever sounds best.

b

Are you certain about that? I have never heard that distinction in medicine.

If I intended your second meaning, I would say increased 10 percentage points.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you certain about that? I have never heard that distinction in medicine.

If I intended your second meaning, I would say increased 10 precentage points.

I agree that saying 'percentage points' is a way to make the absolute case clear; that happens in BE too. And a way to make the relative case clear is 'by a factor of 10%' (or .1, if you're being picky, or 1.1 if you're being really picky).

But when people say either '10% increase' or 'increase by 10%' there's the possibility of either meaning, and some people (I think - native speakers of BE feel free to say I'm wrong) make the distinction I've made. Probably :) (sorry - the language here is fuzzy; the answer to the original question is that in BE they're both acceptable but not interchangeable).

b

rewboss

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
The original question is:

Which is correct? "increase by 10%" or "increase 10%"? (Note the word order.)

The answer is: "increase by 10%", if we assume that "increase" here is a verb. The amount of the increase requires the preposition "by":

The amount was increased by 10%.
The temperature increased by 5°C.
The pressure increased by 0.5hPa.
The voltage increased by 5V.

BobK, you're thinking of "a 10% increase", which is a different case altogether. In that phrase, "increase" is a noun, not a verb, and "10%" has an adjectival function. But that phrase was not in the original question.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah so. :oops: 'Read the question' - now where have I heard that before? ;-)

b

PS - e pur si muove: I'm sure I've heard bosses say things like: 'The figures are 70% of last year. We need to increase those 10% this year' - and they didn't mean 'to 77%'.

rewboss

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
PS - e pur si muove: I'm sure I've heard bosses say things like: 'The figures are 70% of last year. We need to increase those 10% this year' - and they didn't mean 'to 77%'.
Yep, people often say "per cent" when they mean "percentage points". But in the domain of mathematics, that is an error -- and potentially a very serious one.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yep, people often say "per cent" when they mean "percentage points". But in the domain of mathematics, that is an error -- and potentially a very serious one.

:up: Thanks for the clarification.

b

PS
In another string, Mike said '... in our attempt to create interesting and complex grammar rules to explain this error, I think we forget how easy it is to pick up the language mistakes of others.' I suspect I was creating an interesting and complex grammar rule to justify a simple mistake.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
:up: Thanks for the clarification.

b

PS
In another string, Mike said '... in our attempt to create interesting and complex grammar rules to explain this error, I think we forget how easy it is to pick up the language mistakes of others.' I suspect I was creating an interesting and complex grammar rule to justify a simple mistake.

So are we all in agreement that, considering a base of 70%, an increase of 10% and increased by 10% both produce 77%?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So are we all in agreement that, considering a base of 70%, an increase of 10% and increased by 10% both produce 77%?

OKOKOK. All right already. I am eating humble pie. 'Uncle' has been officially hollered. :lol: It does.

b

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OK OK OK :lol: I'm eating humble pie! There - satisfied? ;-) It does :up:

b

I was not rubbing your nose in anything. I just wanted the original poster to be clear. :oops:

yppah

Thanks, teachers!
I also checked the dictionary, which confirms that it should be "increase (something) BY something", eg. Food prices increased by 10% in less than a year.

I am clear about it now.

Thanks again.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks, teachers!
I also checked the dictionary, which confirms that it should be "increase (something) BY something", eg. Food prices increased by 10% in less than a year.

I am clear about it now.

Thanks again.

That's just fine. But don't be surprised to see the other. It is also correct.

Food prices increased 10% in less than a year.

Both versions have the same meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.