Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi; I'd like to know from native speakers if the follwing sentences are ok:cool:
Thanks. Rip

1) the 2012 is the year, in which the European Football Championship, Euro 2012, takes place.

2)
I would really like to go to London to see the competition. If I had 1200 euros I would buy the ticket for my family; but I would need also money for the plane tickets; so, I should have a lot of money, which is not my case.

3)
it’s two years since I last went to the mountains because I had to take part in swimming competitions.

4)
it’s two years since my family, my relatives and I last went to a skiing holiday.

5)
summer is my favourite time of the year because I have no school.

6) I like diving and going hunting octopus with my uncle using a harpoon, moving from tree to tree, clambering and walking along bridges and going up ladders, which are made of ropes and which link trees in the acrobatic adventure parks.

7) While I ski I like singing. I sometimes do it when I get scared because of the people who ski at high speed and the ravines in which I may fall if they drag me to the ground.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. I'd like to know from native speakers if the following sentences are OK. :cool:
Thanks. Rip

1) [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] 2012 is the year (no comma required) in which the European Football Championship, Euro 2012, takes place.

2) I would really like to go to London to see the competition. If I had 1200 euros I would buy [STRIKE]the ticket[/STRIKE] tickets for my family (semi-colon not appropriate here) but I would also need [STRIKE]also[/STRIKE] money for [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] plane tickets. [STRIKE]so,[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]should[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] would need a lot of money, which [STRIKE]is not my case[/STRIKE]I don't have.

3) It’s two years since I last went to the mountains because I had to take part in swimming competitions.
Grammatically it's fine but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Surely you didn't have to take part in a swimming competition every day!

4) it’s two years since my family, my relatives and I last went [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] on a skiing holiday.
What difference do you see between "my family" and "my relatives"?

5) Summer is my favourite time of [the] year because I have no school.

6) I like diving and [STRIKE]going[/STRIKE] hunting octopus with my uncle, using a harpoon. I also like moving from tree to tree, clambering and walking along rope bridges and going up rope ladders, [STRIKE]which are made of ropes and[/STRIKE] which link trees in the acrobatic adventure parks.
The sentence was very long and parts of it which were unconnected were linked together.

7) [STRIKE]While I ski[/STRIKE] I like singing while I ski. I sometimes do it [STRIKE] when[/STRIKE] because I get scared [STRIKE]because[/STRIKE] of the people who ski at high speed, and of the ravines into which I [STRIKE]may[/STRIKE] might fall if they [STRIKE]drag me to the ground[/STRIKE] knock me over.

This is a rather strange sentence again. I'm not sure how singing helps you to avoid (or to not be frightened of) fast skiers, or of being knocked into a deep ravine.

See above.

ripley

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks a lot for your help.
As far as 3) Competitions don'take place everyday but to get good results you have to train everyday
As far as 4) my family is my father, mother and sister; my relatives are uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents
As far as 7) singing or whistling helps me keep me calm
Bye. Rip

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As far as 4) my family is my father, mother and sister; my relatives are uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents
That's how the words are often used separately, but we rarely use 'family and relatives' together. If we did, we'd probably say something like "It's two years since my family went with relatives ..." rather than "... my family, relatives and I ..."

ripley

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks for your help

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As far as 3) Competitions don'take place everyday but to get good results you have to train everyday

In that case, say "It’s two years since I last went to the mountains because I have to train every day for swimming competitions."

ripley

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.