Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Many grammar books say "will" is not allowed in the future tense, but when it's about your willingness in conditionals, it's permitted like in 1. Is 2 also possible in terms of willingness?

1.He didn't like to come here. But if he will come here for some reason, I will be glad to welcome him.
2.He didn't like to come here. But when he will come here for some reason, I will be glad to welcome him.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Many grammar books say "will" is not allowed in the future tense, but when it's about your willingness in conditionals, it's permitted like in 1. Is 2 also possible in terms of willingness?

1.He didn't like to come here. But if he will come here for some reason, I will be glad to welcome him.
2.He didn't like to come here. But when he will come here for some reason, I will be glad to welcome him.

Which grammar books are you referring to? "Will" is one of the ways we use to talk about the future. Both of your examples are unnatural.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Some teachers told me 1 is possible, what are you talking about?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

It would be OK as "He didn't want to come here. But if he does (come here) for some reason, I will be glad to welcome him."
Or, "He doesn't like coming here. But if he does come (here) for some reason, I will be glad to welcome him."
As you have written it it is not natural English.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That 'what are you talking about?' is not a very polite way to address someone who has a long record of providing helpful and accurate information in this forum.

It will certainly discourage some members from trying to help you.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you will come this way, Mr. Smith is able to meet with you now.

That's the type of construction "if + will" works in.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your original started in the past tense (He didn't like to come here). To stick with the past tense, you would say "He didn't like to come here, but if he had come here I would have been glad to welcome him."
Starting in the present tense, gives you "He doesn't like to come here, but if he comes (or does come) here, then I will be glad to welcome him", or "He doesn't like to come here, but if he were to come here, then I would be glad to welcome him".

As bhai said, both of your original sentences are unnatural.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Maybe this is better.
"I told him not to come but he is willing to come here. If he will come here, then I will stop him from coming"
Anyway, my point was, even though my first example was kind of awkward, I wanted to know if you can use "when you will come" in terms of willingness. "If you will come" in terms of willingness definitely seems to work, but I was curious if "when~will" also works.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It does not.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think you are mixing up "willingness" with "likelihood", "intent" or "certainty". I'm willing to marry Brad Pitt. That doesn't make it at all likely, let alone certain.

"Willingness" is merely a statement that someone is prepared to do something.

I'm willing to marry Brad Pitt. If he comes here, I'll pin him down and put a ring on his finger.

It's not "I'm willing to marry Brad Pitt. If he will come here, I'll pin him down ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.